The best thing to do is nothing

5 Likes

What youā€™re describing is the Hecklerā€™s Veto. If I say ā€œI will never do anything that might lead to someone else doing violenceā€ then Iā€™ve just given away all control of my own actions, because anyone who wants to prevent me from taking action may simply say ā€œif you do that action then Iā€™m going to do violenceā€

There are probably good steps that can be taken to prevent or mitigate violence, but ā€œsit down and shut upā€ isnā€™t one of them.

If people were going out to celebrate a sporting event, and there was some risk it would lead to violence, then Iā€™d consider staying home because sports donā€™t matter that much. Protest matters.

18 Likes

Citation for that?

10 Likes

The original article, unfortunately. The problem isnā€™t that there was or wasnā€™t violence.

The problem is @time thinks heā€™s going to convince us that doing nothing is the best choice due to there ever being the potential for violence ever.

14 Likes

I wonder if we could convince Trump to avoid any raids or deportations that might potentially lead to violence

12 Likes

To the death!?

Man, I love that movie.

7 Likes

This was shared with me on another forum, and now Iā€™m sharing it here:

Not everything has gone as terribly as it could have.
We could all use a little good news.
Important reminder that fighting back is having an effect:
For everyone who DID something, small or big, your efforts have been successful.

Because of you:

1. Federal hiring freeze is reversed for VA (Veteran Affairs).
  2. Court order Partial stay of the immigration ban for those with valid visas.
  3. Green card holders can get back in country.
  4. Uber pledges $3M and immigration lawyers for its drivers after #DeleteUber trends on Twitter.
  5. Obamacare (Affordable Care Act) enrollment ads are still going to air.
  6. The ACLU raised $24M over the weekend (normally 3-4 mil/year).
  7. HHS, EPA, USDA gag order lifted.
  8. EPA climate data no longer scrubbed from website.
  9. More people of different career/religious/economic/race backgrounds are considering running for political office than ever before.
  10. MOST importantly, since we live in a participatory democracy, the people are engaged.

While more is needed, sometimes you have to celebrate your wins. Stay vigilant, but also take self care seriously. Activist burnout is a thing.
Marathon, donā€™t sprint.

19 Likes

I grew up in a place with a lot of Neo-Nazi skinheads. You may have heard of it. Itā€™s called the suburbs.

The only thing, one single thing, that was able to get them to stop being neo-Nazi skinheads was not reasoned debate. You cannot reason someone out of a position they didnā€™t reason themselves in to. Nope. What made them leave the movement was being ousted from that movement in a violent manner. Usually for not being Nazi skinhead enough.

The rest of them? Grew up, had families, put on business suits, and voted for whatever politician came along that closest reflected their neo-Nazi worldview. That gang that roamed the streets looking for random people to put in the hospital? They are still there. They just went inactive as they aged.

They only understand violence. Right now theyā€™re at the ā€œProvoke violence from othersā€ stage. When they feel more confident theyā€™ll go back to committing it themselves, this time with more sophistication and justifications. I understand how appalling the options are. If you ignore them, they win due to being unopposed. If you attack them, they win because opposition/ violence is what they want because it makes their opponents look bad. The choice is to either do it before they can harm you or after they already have.

These guys are a no-win scenario.

13 Likes

Seriously, weā€™ll be exhausted if weā€™re running the entire time, although itā€™s not like the race isnā€™t going on whether we stop for a breather or not! Pass the baton whenever you need it, grab a breath, then get ready to grab the baton on the next lap around the track. Which will be in, oh, ten minutes?

From Surviving the World - Lesson 3075 - The Race

15 Likes

6 Likes

To quote a famous captain, ā€œI donā€™t believe in no-win scenarios.ā€ These people you describe arenā€™t as numerous as you believe. Also, POC and ā€œliberalsā€ in the US also own guns they know full well how to use.

9 Likes

Fuckinā€™ A; this is not the Kobayashi Maru.

7 Likes

Agreed. No-win makes a lot of terrible and false assumptions.

4 Likes

The world needs more optimistic people.

4 Likes

Yep; thatā€™s coming from someone who surely ainā€™t no ā€˜Pollyanna,ā€™ looking at shit through rose colored glasses.

Iā€™m a survivor, a fighter; and I wonā€™t just sit there and ā€˜do nothing.ā€™

12 Likes

And when all else fails, turn to the experts:

2 Likes

Do you know who else wanted to punch nazis?

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.