The Bitterman Himalayan Salt Block

Minnesota dentists disagree!

1 Like

With an ornately-carved rosewood frame you could turn the Himalayan salt block into an Asian-style table screen. With the right backlighting it would have a subtly rosy glow.

2 Likes

Fish baked in salt is glorious. I want to try it with a pike.

Yes - this.

Himalayan salt blocks add something not because theyā€™re pink and from Himalaya - but because they are a flat sodium chloride surface that can take grilling temperatures and add a bit of flavoring. Salt crust is a standard prep for me, depending on what Iā€™m doing.

Clay crust is awesome. I also will do a home-made play-dough crust - except instead of water I use juices, various beers, wines, hard booze & combinations. Very niceā€¦many combinations work (like strong rose-water), but it is very important you use salt (sodium or potassium chloride or a mix.)

Ground salt or salt slab?

The slab looks really cool & Iā€™m sure the salt block gets hot enough to cause a decent Malliard Reaction. However - Iā€™ve used a salt crust many, many times - combined with the M. Reaction - itā€™s great.

But Iā€™ve never grilled or cooked on a salt block - Himalayan or otherwise so thereā€™s that. Iā€™ve been wanting to, but itā€™s not a priority.

edit< Until I use a salt block, well - this is my guesstimate. Until this BB post I hadnā€™t really thought of the block vs. crust.

~cdh

Very real review, Michael.
Though the salt block wasnā€™t what it was cracked up to be, I hope it didnā€™t leave you bitter, man.

Iā€™m intrigued by your table lamp. On your photos it, and its reflections, look awesome. I would read your review of it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.