The CEO of Audi arrested in Germany

“Rule of Law” is a principle, one that some may claim is being followed even when it is not actually being followed. The principle though still exists.

Seriously. I was scanning the replies wondering Why ma grumpy cat at??" People, this should always be the first reply in such a situation!

But yeah, how is it no one went to jail for the mortgage bubble in 2008? How did no one go to jail for Wells Fargo’s multiple frauds on millions of people? In both cases, multiple C-level executives initiated and continually oversaw massive frauds, over long periods of time. Is This America?

Yep. I’m starting to think more seriously about getting out. Strongly considering The Netherlands, and seeing if I can get a job pitching their levy-building expertise globally, it strikes me as a solid 21st-Century kind of gig.

Well, in a manner of speaking. There’s law for the Ninety Percent and there’s law for the Ten percent. Trouble is, they’re different laws.

One doesn’t extradite FROM, they extradite TO, so that is not a US action in this case.

While I agree that German business is just as greedy as American ones (Yay, multinational corporations), I don’t see the German government folding in face of a trade provocation, especially since Trump has made it a point to go around the world pissing in other nations’ cheerios.

I agree, but Trump pissing around is different than banning a manufacturer that deceived customers and regulators at a massive scale. Tell them to take their rabbits and go home.

From what we hear, Volkswagen is doing really well in the USA right now (sales were up 4.5% in April compared to April 2017). Actually most German car manufacturers are. No wonder Trump wants to put a special tariff on German cars – you Americans must really want them over the domestic ones, and nobody seems to mind the “deception at a massive scale”. Go figure.

no kidding - look at our president

You can’t. German citizens have a constitutional right not to be extradited (with the exception of other EU countries under specific circumstances). Germany doesn’t extradite anyone to countries who violate human rights either. US prison conditions have been assessed by more than one court as inhuman.

Good, thats just the answer I was hoping for. Since they can’t satisfy us (at least me!) then no more VW/Audis/&that other thing in the US. Thank you.

Also we don’t extradite people (even non-Germans) to places where they have the death penalty. This is not really a factor in this particular case, since so far the car bosses have not been indicted for murder and, being German, can’t be sent to the USA anyway, but it’s worth knowing.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.