The first-ever mandatory California drug price report reveals Big Pharma's farcical price-gouging

It’s not capitalist. In capitalism there’s supposed to be symmetry (and availability) of information with regards to pricing and availability. That way you can treat market participants as rational self-interested actors. At this point it’s more like consumers are a type of chattel companies trade between each other.

3 Likes

Just got a statement of benefits from my health insurance company.

Big bold type in several conspicuous places:

Cigna Saved you $76.23 or 38%

We negotiate with healthcare providers and pharmacies to save you money!

The fuckers must need a wheelbarrow to carry around balls like that. As if a doctor’s visit actually costs $200 out of pocket anywhere there’s single payer.

So what? Did that 38% of the bill just fucking disappear? I’ve been to the clinics when I didn’t have insurance and paid cash. And they charged the exact same I ended up paying out of pocket anyway.

2 Likes

In the US, there’s also a huge user fee that the manufacturer has to pay the US FDA to get a drug even looked at – $1.5 to 2.5 million for a new drug, in the hundreds of thousands for generics. Big pharma love the fees, because they effectively squeezes out startups who might want to market a cheaper version.

It should come out of the federal budget (to level the playing field), but the FDA has been dreadfully underfunded for decades.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.