The Gallery of Just Plain Assholes (Part 1)

Taken out of context, sure. But one has to be lazy or manipulative to take one sentence out of a tweet out of context. It only take 128 characters to leave it in context.

4 Likes

WTAF
I can’t even.

This entire story is jaw-dropping and the worst parts are how the U.S. “justice” system is just so astonishingly, brazenly BAD.

If corporations = people
then surely this post is located in the right thread.

[
] The dispute with Chevron centres upon a landmark 2011 decision by the Ecuador courts to order the company pay $9.5bn in damages to people blighted by decades of polluted air and water. Chevron has never paid up, claiming “shocking levels of misconduct” and fraud by Donziger and the Ecuadorian judiciary.

But the subsequent web of events that has led to Donziger being detained and stripped of his law license is befuddling even to legal scholars. “Frankly, I scratch my head when I look at this case,” said Larry Catá Backer, a professor of international law at Penn State University. “It is this strange multi-front battle with one extraordinary explosive development after another. It has had this magical quality to enrage everyone involved in it.”

Donziger was first touched by the case that would consume his life as a young lawyer acting as a public defender in Washington. In 1993, he joined a legal team investigating reports of pollution in the Lago Agrio region of northern Ecuador, nestled next to the country’s border with Colombia.

The oil company Texaco had carved out drilling outposts in this tract of the Amazon since the 1960s, leaving what Donziger calls “grotesque” Olympic swimming pool-sized waste pits of oil. Pollution flowed freely into rivers and streams used by the Indigenous population for drinking water. Cancers of the stomach, liver and throat reportedly became more common in the region, as did childhood leukemia. “People there are living in a humanitarian crisis of epic proportions,” Donziger said.

A Spanish speaker, Donziger became ever more enmeshed in the case, traveling to Ecuador hundreds of times to assemble a case in behalf of local people. Despite lengthy attempts by Chevron, which bought Texaco, to block the case, the action ultimately went to trial and resulted in a historic judgement against the oil company.

Donziger’s elation was short-lived, however, with Chevron claiming that his team ghostwrote what should have been an independent assessment and offered a $500,000 bribe to sway the judgment. Donziger denied any wrongdoing and the Ecuador supreme court later affirmed the original ruling, but Chevron has refused to pay the $9.5bn in damages. [
]

13 Likes

Look at what I found

https://ismympaprick.co.uk

(just in case you needed more evidence that de Pfeffel is a prick)

It seems to have a blind spot regarding abstaining from votes, but it’s not like any senior MPs from the Labour party do anything like that, is it?

11 Likes

That’s a fun website! You can even just learn about the votes of a random MP (if you’re not in the UK) and see how if they are a prick. Brilliant!

8 Likes

Reporting crimes half a century late is not really good enough.

https://english.alaraby.co.uk/english/news/2021/3/28/french-philosopher-michel-foucault-sexually-abused-boys-in-tunisia

8 Likes

Just FYI, this is who the accuser is (he’s making the accusation on behalf of the young men Foucault allegedly molested):

And here is the wikipedia on teh age of consent issue petition mentioned in the article (also signed by other superstars of the postwar French academy):

FWIW.

11 Likes

Ain’t t’internet brilliant?

2 Likes

HMH will become part of HarperCollins, the second-largest consumer book publisher in the world. The deal will add more than 7,000 titles to the HarperCollins backlist, including The Lord of the Rings trilogy and other titles by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell, The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, and works by Lois Lowry.

“News Corp” is the other company run by Rupert and Lachlan Murdoch, the villains behind Fox News

6 Likes

Great. So now Sauron owns Middle-Earth?

12 Likes

When the world is old and the Powers grow weary, then Morgoth, seeing that the guard sleepeth, shall come back through the Door of the Night out of the Timeless Void

7 Likes
3 Likes

9 Likes

19 Likes

and what happens to the cops who witnessed this and gave the asshole, dog-beating cop the no-witnesses thumbs-up?

12 Likes
18 Likes

Gross. Ugh. Glad he got convicted.

12 Likes

The Met Police don’t have a great public image at the best of times but right now they have some serious institutional failings.

13 Likes

Not sure if this has already been posted or not but well worth watching again

Damn.

12 Likes

Only 30 seconds in, and I am thinking Tucker would definitely lose a cage match to a pregnant woman. Come to think of it, he’d probably lose a cage match to a five-year old child.

3 Likes

Why the fuck am I still a member of the Labour Party? Why the fuck did I join against my better judgement in the first place?

For clarification, Charlotte Nichols is the shadow minister for women and equality, Marsha de Cordova is the shadow secretary of state for women and equality. That is somehow not at all confusing.

10 Likes