The Gallery of Just Plain Assholes (Part 1)

Geurt Marco de Wit, chair of the nationalist and anti-immigrant organisation Finnish Nation First.

He was born in Finland but has dual nationality with Netherlands. Guy doesn’t even have Finnish name.

6 Likes

tenor

14 Likes

If all the Democratic legislators suddenly took a vacation in Cancun I would not be upset.

18 Likes

Abbott is trying to punish them for it.

6 Likes

christ, what an asshole.
:man_facepalming:t4:

9 Likes

In the letter, the professors claim that the prosecutor’s case will force “Finns of every rank and station” to choose between state harassment and expressing the teachings of their own religion.

2 Likes

Strike pay.

I’ll donate. It’s important Texas doesn’t get controlled by a dangerous cult.

As it were.

7 Likes

Glenn Greenwald, how the mighty have fallen.

4 Likes

The kid missed practice due to an injury, so apparently he HAD to be ridiculed and harassed in front of the entire team. And then it get bad.

9 Likes

19 Likes

Fucking hell. Hard to heart that one. :broken_heart:

19 Likes

damn you, MoRon. makes me wonder how many anti-LGBTQ bullshit orders he has been “saving up” for Pride Month? detestable muthafukka, shitty just to be shitty.
why?

14 Likes

On which day of Pride month will pink triangles be made mandatory?

7 Likes

Why does being Christian matter? Because they arn’t Muslims or Jews? Or worse… Other

1 Like

I’m trying to unpack this, because at least some of the US professors involved, while quite conservative, are not lunatics or Qidiots. If I read this right, a member of a fundamentalist religion published a pamphlet 16 years ago which contains ideas common in fundamentalist religions, but are also considered prosecutable hate speech in Finland, and she is now being prosecuted for this. The letter-writers are claiming that the prosecution is religious oppression, comparable to some events in China.

This seems to represent a nontrivial culture clash between the US and Finland. I can’t imagine a prosecution of a religious leader in the US over teachings of their church, no matter how despicable those teachings are. Is this a common thing in Finland?

(ETA: Just to be clear, I do agree that this is hate speech, I’m also not a big fan of religious extremists of any flavor.)

2 Likes

I am guessing she will just get 30 to 90 day fines. AFAIK maximum sentence is 2 years but you have do some serious shit to get that.

Between 2013-18 there were 57 jugdements.

In 2018, there were 31 judgments in which the main offence was ethnic agitation.

With the exception of one case, the defendants were sentenced as charged. In one case, the charge was dismissed in part. The dismissed charge also involved a traffic offence, but the defendant was sentenced for ethnic agitation as charged.

In a vast majority of cases, the offence took place in Facebook. However, according to the judgments, messages were also spread on Twitter and YouTube, in a blog, and in the online magazine MV-lehti.

Ethnic is mistraslation in the original Finnish it says “kiihottaminen kansanryhmää vastaan” kansanryhmä usually means ethnic group but in this context it means any group (minority) of people.

4 Likes

So the comparisons are completely overblown. Not surprising, given the letter-writers. Still, even the prosecution, let alone the punishments (no matter how mild), feels a little strange by the norms over here.

1 Like

Turns out there’s an even deeper end for Gladwell to fall into (in his latest book).

6 Likes
6 Likes

As an atheist myself, I’ve noticed this trend. It’s depressing to see people reject religion while embracing the social structures that religion built (and that just happens to put them, as white men, at the top). That’s not humanism. It’s nihilism.

15 Likes