The Gallery of Just Plain Assholes (Part 1)

Right? But don’t tell Betty that… She also hates the Asheville Highland Games, but likes the one down here in Atlanta. :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

She’s just jealous that most of the Irish run their own country, are in the EU and are doing better economically.

*have a grandparent from both Ireland and Scotland.

8 Likes

Someone needs to let her know that the irish and scots are united in their hatred of the english, those very same people who promoted prejudice and opression of the irish and the scots when they arrived in america…

5 Likes

We are not a monolith

4 Likes

Don’t hate the English, far too many family and friends are English if simple humanity wasnt enough, I hate the Tories. I’ve never met a Scottish Tory though they do exist I believe.

10 Likes
10 Likes

I’ve an Irish-American friend who says he was 12 years old before he learned that FuckingEnglish was not one word.

7 Likes

I thought sure it was going to be Martha’s Vinyard.
What a bummer, though. They had a good chance of escaping this thing, being on an island, but they didn’t bother. :slightly_frowning_face:

7 Likes

Oh they exist unfortunately…

BTW, I’m English by parentage, and Scottish by birth, and I’m aware that not everyone thinks the same.

1 Like

Both families attend the same church, but Knox said that the actions involving the girl are not condoned by the church, which he declined to name.

“The investigation done so far indicates that this is an isolated incident and NOT the actions of a cult,” Knox wrote in a news release on the department’s Facebook page.

I have to guess that it is a cult, just one of the state sanctioned kind.

13 Likes
19 Likes
14 Likes

Even if that wasn’t NPR, it’s NPR in a nutshell.

11 Likes

15 Likes

Huh, there’s a whole movie covering this topic:

11 Likes
6 Likes

Noted.
Can’t really click that “like” button.

That’s people for you.
Some people.

Not all humans are *holes but it’s likely that any culture that exceeds a threshold population of *holes is doomed. The glorification of death culture in the U.S. was a key indicator that threshold was crossed years ago.

Yech.

8 Likes

:astonished: :cry: :sob: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Humans are inherently assholes. Civilization is a very thin veneer.

12 Likes
11 Likes

I think it’s the opposite… Modern civilization often brings out the asshole, as it insulates us from our actual need to cooperate. Assholes wouldn’t last too long in a hunter-gatherer society, as the need to cooperate for the good of the group is so high. Capitalism thrives on individualism, so it needs us to treat each other like “competition” or “the other” in a way that is highly destructive to our collective well-being.

18 Likes