The Gallery of Trump-Inspired Assholes (Part 1)

Um… who the fuck wouldn’t, under ‘normal’ circumstances?

Covid, climate change, unemployment, BLM; there’s like an entire laundry lists of points that any sensible candidate would expect to be questioned about…

WTH.

22 Likes

Well that was a scary read. This guy enforces the integrity of your elections, yes?

Not that there weren’t amusing parts.

“I don’t think a bishop has the right to tell a priest that they can’t come out and speak,” the FEC chairman said.

He clearly knows nothing about the catholic church. It’s a very hierarchical institution.

That linked article on the fraternal correction of the priest is fascinating itself. Especially how clearly Americanised those bishops are that support him.

The priest also decried the “climate change hoax,” and lamented "DACA- which means criminal illegal aliens,” he said.

That one goes without saying but this bishop Strickland sounds like an American Baptist more than a Catholic.

If you love Jesus & His Church & this nation…pleases HEED THIS MESSAGE

No catholic I know would speak in terms of “loving Jesus”. Usually the language of love is reserved for the Virgin Mary.

Voting is not an easy task nor one to be taken lightly. On the contrary; it requires research, prayer, and discernment.

That’s also a very American Baptist notion of “praying over a decision”. A Catholic would be more likely to talk to their priest or “ask God”. I realise this is a very subtle distinction but theology lives off subtleties and this bishop just comes across as a Baptist in sheep’s (well shepherd’s) clothing.

(Disclaimer: despite what this comment sounds like I’m not catholic myself)

11 Likes

AIUI, the FEC is pretty much neutered right now, by design of course. But it does show the level we are at, and why voting is so vital in Nov. As it happens, Nov 3 is my birthday, so I expect lots and lots of b-day presents! Go vote!

14 Likes

Someone is afraid he’s going to lose his Senate seat in November.

13 Likes

The FEC only regulates the campaign finance. They have no oversight of voting irregularities, etc. They would, granted, be allowing all the hijinks as far as Trump raising money illegally or funneling millions of his campaign dollars into his own pockets, but otherwise, they have no influence on our more current fears about the election.

3 Likes

It’s the whole “There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.” thing from Proverbs 14:12. Like all good cults, Christianity reinforces the idea that what might seem perfectly reasonable and just to you might be terribly wrong.

It’s an excellent way to make sure people aren’t ruled by their own logic and conscience… in case you need them to do things that are illogical and evil.

2 Likes

Some functionary, not authorized to hand out a rare exemption, probably has a cash surplus tucked away for their (hopefully soon) retirement.

The Uihleins are billionaire Trump supporters, and have been kicking up a fuss in Wisconsin against any kind of Covid-19 health measures. Canada should ban their asses.

https://trashpanda-x.github.io/darklantern/#Richard%20Uihlein

17 Likes

Your present from me will be early. I’m voting the 2nd day early voting is open. One day to work out the kinks and I’m grabbing the husband and we are voting.

10 Likes

since neither my wife, nor i, am 65+ and fear of covid is not a valid excuse, we will be voting early instead of absentee.

the most ironic thing about all of this is that until this year mail-in voting was done by republicans much more than democrats. democrats only started pushing it as a way to keep people safe during the pandemic. some of trump’s people kept trying to tell him that but within his completely transactional world view he couldn’t imagine an organization doing something against its own interests simply for the sake of public health.

15 Likes

You’re in Texas too? Or does some other state follow that particular brand of stupid. I’m fairly angry about the state refusing to expand mail in voting but not surprised. I’m glad early voting was expanded a bit- though I’ve not seen any public information campaign to help people find that out. I will do my own little PSA with my kid’s sidewalk chalk once we get closer. We see a fair amount of foot traffic even on hot days.
There will be extraneous kitties, horses, and rainbows- but maybe that will grab attention!

I think the orange Atrocity’s push against mail in voting began because his staff is so committed to wishing COVID away. They started talking to him about how expanding mail in would freak people out and he should push the fraud angle. Then he drank his own poison, started to believe the fraud lies, the democrats began pushing for mail in, and that just cemented his paranoia about losing. If the democrats want it, it must be to cheat him! You’re right that he can’t comprehend the public health angle. I would not be suprised to find out he believes China manufacturered and released the virus just to screw with his reelection.
I also think the staff who first started to guide him against mail in voting didn’t understand it favored republicans. By the time the conservatives who did know tried to chime in, the runaway trump train was well on it’s way.

11 Likes

my ancestors have been dying in texas for so long that if sam houston had lost the revolution i’d be a mexican national.

i’m not saying your scenario for why trump went all-out against mail-in ballots is wrong but if you start from the premise that everything trump does comes from a completely transactional view of the world, that is a theory with a lot of explanatory power.

10 Likes

I have no doubt that is how he sees the world. But I think mail in voting probably wasn’t even on his radar until someone in his administration brought it up. Once they did, his usual world view of transactionalism and paranoia kicked in.

9 Likes

now that i can totally believe. the man is so incurious he makes george w bush look like a scholar or even a renaissance man.

12 Likes

Low bar is low. Subterranean low. Earthworms clear it with ease.

11 Likes

:rofl:

5 Likes

This is what we’ve been doing in all our primaries this year. We did encounter a pretty long line on the week before the original primary…

9 Likes

Private jet owners have a very different experience from we of the great unwashed.

They don’t go through screening or TSA - the pilot may check ID - but that’s about it.

And you don’t go through the same customs - someone meets you at your jet.

11 Likes

I’m sure that private jets do get express lane treatment, but Canada Customs isn’t as easy right now. Someone is going to get raked over the coals for this.

7 Likes

Meanwhile one border agent turned away a Dallas Morning News hockey beat writer since covering a hockey game is not essential as the Dallas paper is not sold in Canada. He then told the writer that they should hire a Canadian writer. (Note: they allowed other US writers into Canada for the games.)

The writer was trying to arrive early so he could complete the 14-day required quarantine before play.

I can’t even fault the Canadian border agent since Trump created this problem.

8 Likes
6 Likes