The IBM 1620, an affordable “scientific computer” from 1959

I started to learn programming in what must have been literally the final year of the Era of programs written on paper cards.

Computers were so much cooler back then. I want that desk. Flashing lights, whirring tapes, fat printers making loud clunking sounds.

It’s all too neat now.

1 Like

Back then, more women were involved in computing, too. Maybe we need more blinking lights on our computers.

2 Likes

These stories and photos reminded me of a book I read in my youth, “The Mark of Conte” was about a high schooler who hacked the school computer to think he was two different people so he could graduate in half the time. I remember being fascinated by the world of punch cards…

2 Likes

As of last week, IBM no longer manufactures computer logic (or really much of anything, it was about the last to go). It’s the end of an era.

3 Likes

I just watched this last night, after someone here mentioned it earlier this week. (was it you? If so, thanks.)
What a brilliant film.

1 Like

I heard an interesting thing a while back.
Transpose the letters H.A.L. forward one space along the alphabet.

2 Likes

Designing things is just so much more lucrative than manufacturing them.

2 Likes

You mean H.A.L. => G.Z.K. ?

3 Likes

I was in an accounting class at my local Jr College in Bakersfield, CA in 1963, when the math Director came in and announced that there was going to be a Computer Class starting, and the room number. I folded up my ‘toy paperwork’ and stood, walked to the teachers desk, drop that crap on his desk and said “Bye” and left. When I got to the ‘Computer Lab’ I saw the 1620 sitting in the corner! I looked like a sci-fi book cover. We had only a card input, and I learned to program the 1620 in ‘machine language’! Later I learned SPS, then a standard for that machine . . . By 2003 when I retired, I had worked for a two city gov’s, a billion dollar construction company as IS Director, and an operations manager for Unisys.
The Museum of Computers (not sure of their name) in Santa Clara, CA has a very nice 1620!

3 Likes

Very good description! Thanks for a legit post !!

The large ‘selector’ dial was to find the register that show the lights on the left to find program hangs!

I got Þ.B.M.

By the way, this is me at the console of a 7040 in 1964
http://www.rchrd.com/Gallery/bpi64/source/9.html

I loved that machine. Coded in machine language and Fortran. (Ooops, FORTRAN)

2 Likes

Yeah, but then there was APL1130.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.