The internet promised open markets, delivered rigged ones, then fake ones, then outright monopolies

Pundits who rarely understood actual markets promised these things.

1 Like

Greed, not envy, I believe. Greed cares nothing for the ideas and opinions of others; envy cares about nothing but.

But did he get that no application of Marxism would take permanent hold?

I’m not sure it matters. Businesses are compelled to obey their profit motive or fail. The people who operate them may have some ethical latitude, but for the most part they’re slaves to a system. The real question is: How do we change that system to better serve human needs?

1 Like

(EDIT to add/clarify)
I remember when they (i.e. legislators who were not from Austin, nor its environs) were going to force Mueller to stay open. (My suggestion was to close Camp Mabry and convert its land into a new GA airport, since demographically speaking, it would’ve been closer to those who can afford to keep an airplane.)

Really? Is this just an automatic response your brain spits up whenever it encounters Marxist concepts?

No. Are you just a clichéd version of an ersatz comedy about yourself?

Lol…

The Predatory Instinct wouldn’t be written if Veblen didn’t spend long winters in bumf Minnesota reading amongst other things, Karl F Marx.

1 Like

I think some of this is a product of efficiency. For example, when eBay started, they were more democratic. But, over time you get a lot of garbage. It’s hard as a user to search through it all. By pushing promotions, they can deliver more reliably to the customer, and it’s easier to build a business from repeat, regular users than it is from random people doing online yard sale-ing every so often. Big suppliers ensure standardized products that are repeatable and sellable.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.