The iPhone pop-up that Facebook dreads is out, and it is going to hurt them

Hm. That was a while ago. Do you have Android Studio?

2 Likes

As to ATT: Firstly, it’s not on as a default. One has to go into Settings, etc. So seriously, anyone really think more than a small minority will do that? And once set, the user has to choose to block when prompted.
Now, what would make at least me happy is an app that simply and easily clears Facebook trackers.
Facebook’s problem ATT starts with a business model that goes from the reasonable to the sociopathic data hovering and then providing the data to third parties. So, you know, no sympathy.
And speaking of the world’s best friend, it’s kind of interesting that the media is mostly cool with the actual antitrust efforts of Facebook Sherlocking possible competitors.

THIS!!!

I think that many in the industry 'know' that allegedly targeted ads are a crock of shit, but very few have so far had the balls to voice it. Because an entire edifice crumbles once a critical mass sees the Emperor's lack of clothes (to mix my metaphors).
5 Likes

The weirdness here is that most browsers have had a “Do Not Track” option for years - and it’s entirely pointless because most websites just ignore it.
I would have a great deal of trouble believing this one simply because I have been burned too often before, even though it’s likely that this one will have some effect (albeit mostly because it’s really just part of the turf war between Apple and Facebook, not actually anything for the benefit of actual users.)

1 Like

Looks like there is reason to be hopeful on this one:

It looks like this feature is on the latest iPadOS 14.5 update as well.

ETA:

AGREED!

1 Like

Anybody interested in damaging Facebook’s business model should be using FB Purity on the desktop:

2 Likes

Why are the buttons not just ‘Yes’ and ‘No’?

1 Like

That’s surely part of the reason it’s building an in-app podcast player, why it’s adding a Spotify player to the app and why it continues to resolutely steal every feature of every app it can find.

Facebook and others built big businesses on being portals to everything, because users and data always flowed back.

Facebook is turning into AOL. The more I think about it, the more insane parallels there are there. (Except Facebook doesn’t have a Shingy yet)

2 Likes

I’ve been a mobile developer for 10 years and wrote the code for handling device tracking on our current project. So trust me when I say this is nothing like “do not track” requests in browsers. This is controlled all the way down to the hardware’s Secure Enclave in iOS and iPhone hardware. If iOS says you can’t track, you can’t track, period. Those APIs are locked out and there’s nothing an app can do about it.

Android is a different story, and I wrote our code for that too. All I can say is, if you care about security and privacy, use an iPhone. Android is a security dumpster fire. And why wouldn’t it be? Apple is a hardware company. Google is a user data company. Both products reflect the business model of the companies that made them.

8 Likes

I think it’s important to note that there is good reason to think that Apple, which has its own fraught history of ethically-problematic strategies (including tax dodging, illegal anti-poaching practices, and child labor), has not suddenly become a moral crusader for user rights; rather, it is apparently trying push its own ad products.

I myself wax nostalgic for the time not that long ago when it was still a scandal when we learned that the iPhone constantly tracked user locations. Now, that privacy battle has been lost so completely that we take it for granted.

3 Likes

More scheißberg than zuckerberg.

Except that it was never really a ‘scandal’, because the location tracking never left the device, except for basic info that wasn’t attributed to that particular device.
Without it, most of the most useful facilities couldn’t function, you might as well use a cheap dumb phone.

Silly human. Facebook Algorithm knows what you’d like to buy much better than you ever will. Now get clicking!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.