The largest source of plastic in our fresh water is laundry lint

Legos are made of ABS, so a beautiful, multi-primary color wall.

6 Likes

I always use laundry lint to refill my navel. What other use is there??

3 Likes

Cotton is not the only option. Wool, linen and silk are all really good stuff, and for winter wear, leather, fur and fleece (the lamb kind) are excellent.

6 Likes

“I’ve got one word for you…”

plastics

7 Likes

What’s worst about that sentiment (which is accurate) is that it even needs regulation. Manufacturers could not possibly just do it themselves - in case others didn’t and it became a cost disadvantage, competitively. I’d like to dare a single manufacturer to do this and heavily advertise the feature and that the extra few bucks it puts on the price is saving the planet. Can’t believe they would not then find a competitive advantage from being an early adopter.

1 Like

Today I rec’d yet another announcement on FB that Yves Chuinard, president of Patagonia, has given 10 million to environmental causes. Considering that he’s a billionaire that’s a paltry 1%. Also consider how much -in tons- plastic micro-fibers from that company alone AND from all the copying companies who saw easy profits from “Let’s-also-sell-recycled-plastics.” So where does that put the fleece industry?

I get it. It’s laudable what he did but there’s an entire industry that is dumping tons of the stuff into the world’s waste stream with every wash. Unregulated.

1 Like

Seems kinda strange that we can’t survive in the wilderness without plastic clothing when it’s only been around for a century or so.

5 Likes

The first three.

3 Likes

Meanwhile, life expectancy has more than doubled in the last couple of centuries. In the middle ages, I would be considered a wizened elder. These days, I do trail runs on wagon routes where people regularly died trying to get to their destination. Of dysentery.

11 Likes

Same could be said for modern transportation.

4 Likes

Fcking pop science. This sounds horrible but nowhere is there any discussion as to whether this is harmful to anyone or anything. It’s microscopic. You need a fcking microscope to see it, and it’s INERT.

All that sh*t washing up on beaches, yeah, that’s a problem and so is the gigantic plastic swirl out there in the ocean and we need to do something to change that but INERT, MICROSCOPIC particles?

This like the debate about letting prisoners vote, it makes the politicians feel good about doing something but in reality there is no effect upon the the actual world.

2 Likes

Please show your work: iirc plastic isn’t inert. Especially when it is super small and breaking down in the environment. Not all plastics are wonderful.

Sure we see gross pictures of birds or sea life literally choking to death on our plastic garbage, but the stuff is everywhere (see plastic microbeads from exfoliate, that shit USED to be pumice or peach pits or something).

2 Likes

There’s “Guppy Friend”, which I gather commenter mallyboon has already posted about. It’s a washing bag that you put your plastic/plastic blend clothes into, kind of the like the bags for “delicates”. Not cheap though, and they don’t hold a lot of clothes.

3 Likes

Do the math people, it’s not difficult. Per person, in the U.S. that’s less than 0.0009 of a “microscopic particle” (which is never actually defined in OP’'s article) per person per year.

I guess there are some people who believe in homeopathy who think this means “something” but the rest of us with actual educations properly dismiss this sort of bullsh*t.

Wow. "A casual read of my initial post by any kindergartner… "
GFY comrade.

And linking to a ‘howstuffworks.com’ page on plastics?
GFY again.

Try some science. It actually works.

1 Like

There’s the non vegan alternative:

3 Likes

They can get into organic tubules (like capillaries or the tubules in the kidney) and block them.

3 Likes

After some plumbing problems, we recently installed a filter for the laundry drain hose. It’s intended for folks with septic systems. So far so good but you have to empty it all the time. I guess that means it’s catching something at least. So it will go in the landfill and not into the wastewater treatment plant. https://filtrol.net/

3 Likes

OK, so I suppose we might be closer to the same side of this issue and in the spirit of comity I usually give some though to… apologies. Maybe GFY is short for go free your mind? Anyway, sorry if I popped off there. Not a great response all the way round. Sorry. Cheers

Anyway I think we are actually more of like mind than not I hope. Plastic (in particular less neutral plastics) are actually a problem. Suggested solution: filters of some kind. There, I feel much better.

1 Like

Why not all of those?

Complex peoblems generally require multiple partial solutions, rather than hoping there is a single magical fix that solves it all.

6 Likes