The median household income of each state in the USA

Amen. Work in a high-income state until you retire so your 401k is nice and padded, then bail and move to somewhere more affordable. Unfortunately, I’m having a harder and harder time thinking of affordable places I’d rather live in. Maybe ME or northern VT…

2 Likes

Ah…the “median income.”
One of my favorite lies with math.
So easy to hide true income inequality.

3 Likes

If you look at the other high level visualizations, there’s one for poverty rate by state etc. I think this high level picture is appropriate for the average joe to get a sense of what’s going on at a glance.

There are states (and counties, cities) with high average income, but high income inequality, with shitty schools. This is the result of political power in the hands of those wealthy enough to afford private schools reducing taxes and starving the local school districts of resources.

Really, that’s true across the country, but the gap is exacerbated in certain places.

6 Likes

I honestly wish kids were required to go to public schools. Watch how fast the public school systems would be awesome.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.