The most and least expensive places in the US for renters

Still curious - I read more into Tunica County. What I found was heartbreaking and infuriating: http://aliciapatterson.org/stories/abandoned-education-tunicas-schools-struggle-leftovers-and-neglect

In retrospect I had to edit this post as it also gave me a glimpse of hope. Big respect to anyone who starts with nothing and turns it into something.

Very, very sad. Thanks for sharing that article.

Seattle and Tacoma are part of the same metro area.

There is something wrong here with the data or the math.

1 Like

When I worked at Boeing it was normal for some of my coworkers to drive up from Tacoma and nearby to Bellevue. The guy with the longest commute I knew of worked a 4x10 shift and drove down from Blaine which is just on the border with Canada. A simple run down I-5 for him but a long one.

2 Likes

I don’t really get that. I’ve only been to Tacoma once but it seems like a very different city to me.

3 Likes

It is but there are plenty of people that drive up to Seattle, Bellevue, Redmond for work from there or Puyallup etc.

1 Like

Yikes. Based on that number I’m guessing they weren’t low six years ago. My sympathies. Property tax policy in Oregon is an incredible case of unintended consequences. My understanding is that when they sold Measure 50 on the ballot, it was to help keep people with a fixed income in their homes, but twenty years later a map of property tax assessments in the city is just crazy.

1 Like

What a lot of people don’t realize is that there are broad swathes of SF that are very working class in undesirable neighborhoods; that count towards means/averages. Essentially most of SF South of Cesar Chavez (not including BH).

The various neighborhoods of Seattle all seem like different cities to me, but really it’s one big urban blob from Everett to Olympia.

It’s as if they had Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minn., at opposite ends of the affordability spectrum in the list. It doesn’t make sense.

1 Like

Not really. They’re in different counties, and when I left, at least, neither had any overlap on the buses. It was a long, circuitous trip to get to Seattle from Tacoma (or vice-versa) because of that. (Unless you wanted to grab one of the express buses—but they were specially set up for travel.)

And there’s a number of townships/communities in between the cities, not least of which is Federal Way and Seatac.

1 Like

Yeah, but what I’ve read is that the average SF one bedroom rents for $3600 (though I think it’s gone down a few hundred lately). So it still doesn’t make sense, unless the particular people who are being counted in this are sharing one-bedrooms (but not in other cities), so they’re comparing apples and oranges. The whole list is so screwy, in terms of relative costs of cities, that I suspect there are serious issues with the data.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.