The ”Myth” of cultural appropriation

4 Likes

If those are the first hundred people who get on twitter to complain, then that’s the universe you deal with.

If the whole of your exposure and experience with something is randos on twitter then chances are you know nothing about it. Twitter is not educational unless you vet sources with religious fervor. To do so you need to know more than twitter is capable of teaching.

8 Likes

I could not possibly agree more, nor could I pay attention to what’s being said on twitter any less.

Then why bring it up?

8 Likes

Because I wish that everyone else felt the same way.

I pay more attention to what one person tells me face to face than I would to what ten thousand people who don’t know me say about me online.

1 Like

I feel you on that but at the same time just because randos on twitter often get the wrong end of the stick that doesn’t mean the stick doesn’t exist, which is essentially what was being argued at the start of this thread.

7 Likes

My gram used to say “Wish in one hand, and crap in the other; then see which one fills up first.”

Merely wishing people were better than they are does nothing to affect change… just as living in denial that a problem exists does nothing to actually resolve it.

13 Likes

Salty grams FTW!

6 Likes

OT aside: Several Native American pueblos do not allow outsiders to learn (or even hear, I think) their languages.

1 Like

I believe the point is that you probably should listen to the other 4% instead of the 96% of white first-worlders your words gave precedence to.

6 Likes

Yes, but if they’re only 4% of the population, we can just strong-arm them into having their cultures appropriated. It’s the American way!

/s

4 Likes

Over the next couple of months, the bourgeois cultural void that is America will realize that it has been culturally appropriating the East Asian culture of wearing masks outside the hospital context, and repent.

1 Like

I am confused by the claim that the first 96/100 Twitter accounts visible at any given time on that site are white first-worlders.

I’m an older Midwestern mom, and it’s not true for me. I think you have to very carefully curate your feed to make it that one-dimensional.

9 Likes

That might verge on forgivable sarcasm if tens of thousands of people hadn’t already died.
Ha fucking ha.

9 Likes

Yoga was specifically evangelicized by East Indian practitioners, as a gift to the west. That doesn’t mean it’s impossible to teach it in an exploitive manner, just means that a blanket condemnation of the practice is a poor use of the “cultural appropriative” stamp of disapproval.

3 Likes

Right.

You can also quite easily curate a diverse view. One or two follows is all it takes.

And use the “latest” view if you use the app, not home which gives you the “best” tweets as determined by the algorithm Jack built.¹

One or two follows can open up a whole new world.

Though I don’t think I follow anyone who would straight-facedly claim that cultural appropriation doesn’t exist. I do have some standards.

¹Well, his engineers did, but don’t ruin a reference

8 Likes

And almost all of the Hatha yoga seen today is derived from Krishnamacharya who used Scandinavian gymnastic exercises to make his system. There was absolutely yoga before the 1930s in India, but it was not the asana-heavy thing we see today. And since it was done without giving credit let alone financial compensation to the people (Danes and Swedes) from which it originated it fits most of the definition of “appropriated”.

Things are seldom neat and tidy.

@anon47741163 Is it a gift or a re-gifting if you took much (most) of it from the rest and slapped a Sanskrit gift card on it?

1 Like

I really don’t like this marketplace of ideas thinking. That’s not how it works, it’s never been how it worked. Scream louder, pump more money into the fight, be the dominant voice in your community and your idea is going to win regardless of merit.

cf. Trump, Brexit, Thatcherism, etc. etc

6 Likes

For centuries, there have been theater critics. And yet it took COVID-19 to choke the life out of the the theater.

2 Likes