The real Turing Test crashes headlong into issues of gender identity

Yes, it does (meaning it has the same flaws, if that is what you’re asking).

I’m on to you…“Maggie”…

2 Likes

Me either. Or Robin Hobb.

Genre: Informal
Female = 418
Male = 505
Difference = 87; 54.71%
Verdict: Weak MALE

Weak emphasis could indicate European.

Great. Not only do I get called a weak male, but my continent is also insulted as the home of weak men. “You probably have a funny accent and ridiculous moustache too, you silly European baby”.

2 Likes

Maybe they thought you were mansplaining for using inaccurate statistics when talking about gender online :wink:

3 Likes

If instead of “weak male” and “weak female” that gender checker said, “inconclusive” I think it would seem a lot more credible. Even still, grabbing random samples from my blog I was able to get strong male and strong female results.

A little more disappointingly, I could predict whether a post would give male or female results based on what I was writing about. Feeling sad and out of place or otherwise examining feelings means I’m female or inconclusive. Feeling angry or writing about math means I’m male or inconclusive.

But the inconclusive thing happens a lot, and I’m not European. Who knows, though, maybe some parts of southern Ontario have been living around Europeans so long that they write like Europeans now.

1 Like

The people who devised it probably regard Canadians as every bit as frilly and weird as Europeans. European simply means non-Amurican

ETA: I am actually trying to get a ‘female’ result at all. I’ve fed it a Margaret Atwood excerpt, a few Jezebel articles and they get branded as male. I even tried a random vampire fanfic that got guessed as weak male. slow clap.

2 Likes

I definitely got some female back from a couple of my blog posts, but I’m honestly having a lot of trouble finding them now, I could swear I saw the word “FEMALE” in front of me a couple of times. I found one, but it was female on the formal side only and weak male on the informal side. I don’t know what that is supposed to mean. Mostly things just come up weak male, usually pretty close to the line.

Welp, this algorithm does prove one thing: There are no girls on the internet.

3 Likes

Well that’s pretty strong evidence that the algorithm is bullshit.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.