The sad truth about your computer

Dlls are dynamically linked libraries, as opposed to statically linked libraries

Dlls allow many programs to use them, static libraries can only be used by one program

Dlls reduced library bloat by 1000x. Think it’s bad today? If every program needed its own mscvrt.dll you wouldn’t have any room left on your hd.

All modern OSs have equivalents: shared objectts frameworks, dylibs, etc.

Finally, dlls allow for all programs that import them to use common functions, like GetWebpage, or TallyNumbers without the program author needing to write their own implementation.

2 Likes

Windows side-by-side (if you are familiar) is an interesting, infuriating (as a black box debugger) solution to a problem that would have taken about sixty seconds to have prevented (min/max versions for imports in an updatable manifest, and versioned function calls in shared libraries)

1 Like

Oh, is wasn’t referring to the architecture leading up to SxS, just the continued “need” for legacy DLLs. I was a tester for core OS but not back when that switchover happened and thus didn’t get to ask why it was implemented in such a way :frowning:

1 Like

Hey, legacy 100kb files that generally do nothin’ is pretty low on my list of “do I even care” :smile:

they’re not hurting nobody, and are damn useful when you want to load up Masters of Orion 2.

1 Like

The big problem with dynamically linked libraries is versioning…

1 Like

Me, recently, to a nineteen year old, “I didn’t look it up; I just used the program to generate the structure by name.”

“What program?”

“The only one we use for this class? Chemdraw?”

“OH! That’s a program?”

:expressionless:

6 Likes

Chemdraw is good.
And the speed with which the new generation does not get the matter-of-course things is scary.

1 Like

3 Likes

But why do so many libraries fail to account for reverse compatibility? Why do you need multiple .NET or DirectX frameworks instead of just one that recognizes when an application needs an older revision and thus offers up that revision’s subset of calls?

1 Like

Because they are the not very well thought out precursors to ideas like Docker.

There was a naive assumption very early on the application developers would never stop supporting apps with linked libraries, or libraries would always be backward compatible. (Or you just use it as an upgrade treadmill).

Para virtualization and even better private name spaces gets rid of that. App developers can go bankrupt and OSs can innovate with fewer hard dependencies. And it all still Just Works.

2 Likes

What channel was it on hbo? Amc?

1 Like

Paper? Pfft. A brittle, flaking, fungus-attracting, bug-hotelling, worm-housing passing fancy.

The true bibliophile only storehouses baked, clay tablets.

3 Likes

Hrm, I wonder if any of those benefits of Applocker are going to end up benefiting the non-corporate consumer.

Meh. I’ll stick with these.

Tablets just aren’t very good. Look how fragile they are.

2 Likes

After 4,000 years lets see how well the Gutenberg Bible holds up…

What, you mean the first printing? Or a later copy (printed on future-current stock?), since that’s arguably the whole point of print? Let’s borrow Rod Taylor’s time machine and see for ourselves!

In 4,000 years, it might look pretty crumbly, but then, not too many people are making stone tablets for single-use consumption these days anyway. But why stop here? We still have the keys, let’s time machine forward!

In 40,000 years, we’re starting to get into the ticks of the clock of the Long Now, and I anticipate the first printing really won’t last. But, of course, that’s not really the point of print, and if civilization lasts, a few copies may even be in circulation. Nobody reads them much, of course, since the tongue is archaic and unwieldy. The Eloi just let everything go to pot. (White people. SMH. Hopefully the Morlocks get over their jerky cannibalism ways and invent sunglasses.)

In 400,000 years, deep time is kicking in, and I doubt too many of the modern takes on old classics will be around much, including all Apple Kindle Pads. As detritus. Maybe.

In four million years, everything and everyone we’ve ever known, done, seen, or heard of is represented by a thin layer in the geologic column marking the Anthropogenic Extinction Event. Some of the sturdier foundations may still exist, provided they were buried relatively quickly near geologically inactive regions. The only exception is the human-made structures on the moon, which once housed billions during the Lunar Real Estate Bubble, now home to vacuum-hardy fungi.

Everything’s weirder here. But yeah, print probably won’t last like the stone tablets did before they returned to dust. Dinosaurs, having faked their extinction as birds, once again rule the Earth. They build cities, write novels, and watch the skies very closely.

Wait. Did I forget the question?

5 Likes

This is definitely the case for infinality.net (X11 rendering hacks plus some fonts on Linux)…as I just balked installing it on AntiX, no matter how much better it might make fonts.google.com or start rendering unicode adequately.

1 Like

Oh hey, that’s where my nam-shub got to!

2 Likes

“I dropped my tablet and now the screen is broken.”

The complaint we keep hearing for four millenia.

…and the thing on the picture looked uncannily like an Excel table.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.