The strange psychological phenomenon that explains why people hate cyclists

Once the formal logical fallacies were introduced by Aristotle and fully explicated by LessWrong, all alternative conclusions should have evaporated? I dunno.

I think you’re just up there feeling superior to the conversation because Aeroplanes don’t actually have to share space with other classes of vehicle. You start dealing with dirigibles more regularly and see where your tone goes.

3 Likes

See also:

1 Like

I’ve been clipped by cyclists several times over the years on the pavement and in crosswalks, and I’m someone who pays attention to his surroundings. I’ve also heard of at least two cases in the news where elderly pedestrians died because some arsehole on a bike ran into them.

I understand that car-centric city planning often forces cyclists onto the pavement, but they really don’t belong there. Like I said above, though, it’s mainly teenaged boys and bike messengers who do that.

2 Likes

Another way of phrasing it: “When I do it, I am processing very real psychological issues. When you do it, you are creating pointless drama”

6 Likes

This was not some kind of historical accident. It was quite deliberate.

10 Likes

Agreed. I’m just coming from my own experiences also. I have not seen many pedestrians get fucked up from a biker on the sidewalk.

Regardless, bikes need a safe place, pedestrians need their own safe place and the two should never cross. Sometimes I see bikes flying on the sidewalk and shudder to think about them hitting someone elderly or very young.

3 Likes

That’s a crazy story. Hard to believe “good roads” started as a bike thing and was co-opted by the auto industry. Great link.

3 Likes

Another ‘cars vs bikes’ thread?

20 Likes

That might be the case where you are, but I see it almost every day here. Usually (but not always) to get past other cars waiting to turn. There have been numerous times when cars have been driven along the pavement outside my kids’ school at drop-off time.

2 Likes

I always heard it, “everyone is trying to kill me, the cabbies are paid to”, although, it’s been a couple years since a cab has tried to run me down on two wheels. Probably the only way lyft and uber are better.

4 Likes

Only way to survive on a motorcycle is to assume everyone else is actively trying to do things that will kill you. If you find yourself alone on the road, assume the road will try and kill you or the motorcycle itself.

11 Likes

Absolutely. I ride a liter bike. It definitely is trying to kill me.

1 Like

It isn’t usually the planners. The actual street area is almost purely the domain of traffic engineers. Planners have been calling for better multi-modal uses for decades.

They do this all the time. 8.6% of pedestrian deaths from cars occur off of roadways. I’ll point you to the book Right of Way by Angie Schmitt for a deeper look at pedestrian deaths in the US. In contrast the cyclists you are so worried about only manage to cause a handful of deaths a year.

6 Likes

I’m staying out of the cars v bikes content, but I do want to disagree with the example in the original article. In my humble opinion, that’s less Fundamental Attribution Error (a cyclist is biologically wired to break laws) and more about Confirmation Bias (the person believes cyclists are jerks and thus remembers the bad and forgets the good). It’s the same effect that makes people say “Asians are bad drivers” or “BMWs always cut me off”. They have that idea in their head and remember every anecdote that confirms it while not noticing the 50 BMWs that didn’t cut them off, or the 50 times a Honda did.

A better example for Fundamental Attribution Error is when someone cuts you off in traffic and you feel they are an asshole (fundamentally a morally bad person) rather than giving them the benefit of the doubt that maybe they’re having a bad day or didn’t sleep well or are late for work or whatever.

You may now resume arguing about cars and bikes. Thank you for your time.

20 Likes

Well, this set of comments certainly proves the point of the article.

19 Likes

If these folks were bringing real data, and not textbook cases of exactly what the articles describe (memorable experiences of “non-standard” users sticking in their head because they are “non-standard”, etc), yeah you’d have a point. As it is, it’s like this was an article about ad hominems and there being a bunch of comments about the author’s bad breath.

3 Likes

Dostoevsky explained it thus: you have to hate the people you treat badly. How else would you get through the day?

14 Likes

The strange psychological phenomenon that explains why people hate cyclists/motorcycles

FIFY

50 plus years in the saddle and I’ve seen enough to fill a bible thick book of asshole drivers.

6 Likes

Lies -they were a morally wrong person :wink: I was slightly glad they cut me off. I honestly thought they were going to plow straight into the pick up truck and trailer that was changing lanes.

Yesterday was full of people that could have been interpreted as cutting people off. Traffic was just odd. It was only the one that I had moral judgments about.

tenor

1 Like