The suitcase computer of 2020

That reminds me, I’ve got one of those with a i486 inside and a monochrome plasma display kicking around somewhere.

4 Likes

That’s very convenient.

Recycling has taken such a terrible turn here, I’m still not used to it. At my old place, the town trash contract covered paper, cardboard (from corrugated to cereal box), cans, bottles, and plastics numbered 1 through 9. After I moved, I found out this place only recycles cans, plastic (bottles only), and cardboard. No glass.

5 Likes

JFC for that price it had damn well better come with its own refrigeration system, and my ice pops.

Also–where are the dang wheels on this?

Engineers, go back and rework this iteration!
:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Well, that sucks.

1 Like

Depending on where your location, metal scrappers will take your desktops, RAM chips, etc. because of the gold [tracing] on the contact points and PCBs. I just did a deal with a scrapper who pointed out that gold is up to ~US$2000/ounce and he has been supplementing his very screwed up income stream by doubling down on scrapping.

Pretty hard to dispose of old CRTs in the U.S., at least where I am.
They are basically hazardous waste now.

Old hard drives have rare earth magnets that have a lot of uses, and we pull those out, recycle the aluminum casing, and the platters are hammered and then (oh well) sent to the landfill.

3 Likes

A long-ago issue of BYTE magazine had an article where the resident hardware guy built a “portable”* computer that fit in a lunchbox. They used a Fraggle Rock lunchbox, one of the old metal kind with a sturdy plastic handle.

It seemed like a real cool thing at the time, and I swear if I ever find a Fraggle Rock lunch box (or a copy of my old Yellow Submarine lunchbox) I’d turn it into a Raspberry Pi enclosure.

• “Portable” sort of. You needed to plug it into a terminal, one of those “looks like a computer but doesn’t actually do anything on its own” things.
10 Likes

I built one of these for a fraction of the price in a silver metal case back in the late 90’s. It’s too bad the commercial offerings are so overpriced.

1 Like

This is like $8000… I don’t think you want to use it as a movie prop! :grimacing:

4 Likes

I’ll check into that. There’s someone in the area who takes scrap - usually large metal items - but he might’ve branched out or knows someone who would take them. Thanks!

2 Likes

C64 Executive. I’d prefer this one a lot over the $8000 abomination from the article. If I wanted a PC to carry around with me, I’d just put handles on mine. But the thing I need the least is a SUV-PC.

2 Likes

Couldn’t afford a Kuang Grade II?

2 Likes

I remember several “LAN party models” with integrated backpack frames.

1 Like

It wouldn’t be the most money lost in a stunt.

So just to be clear, here’s the situation: we have two Formula 1 race cars driving around the most challenging track in the sport, reaching triple-digit speeds, racing neck-and-neck alongside other vehicles, with $300,000 diamonds strapped to their nose cone.

5 Likes

Damn! What the hell were they thinking?

ouran-HS-host-club-haruhi-rich-people

8 Likes

It’s one of those ideas that sound good to people who have never had to decide whether to pay the rent or buy food.

13 Likes

Right? For a movie promotion, too… of course that car was going to crash… :woman_facepalming:

5 Likes

In Europe everywhere that sells electrical or electronic goods has to accept old ones for recycling.

It makes sense to me.

11 Likes

Dear Lord.

Yeah, this $8000 beastie is powerful, but if you want to shell out the cash, you can get (at least very close to) the same amount of power, with an upgradeable CPU, GPU, RAM, and storage, all in a light laptop with an IPS display (that you can, of course, still use with external displays).

My new laptop isn’t as powerful, no, but also is fully upgradeable, if I ever care to, and cost $1200 “factory renewed” (read: customer return, recertified); at this spec, I saved ~$400-600:

That’s the actual link I bought it from; they’re long out of stock for that offer, sadly ^^’.

It’s possible you can’t exactly duplicate every feature the $8000 system has in an upgradeable laptop form factor for less cash, but I kinda doubt it.

1 Like

Is that suitcase really going to be able to take a drop from 3’ on a corner?
It really seems you need a suitcase for your suitcase.

4 Likes

Ah, the luggable. An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age.

16 Likes