The turn signals on these new Minis are insanely stupid

Flag-wavers. How many problems are caused by bloody flag-wavers. This is more Brexit nonsense. Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel, and there’s far too much of it in evidence these days.
And while a little pedantry can be fun, yes, most people still say “Union Jack”. And everybody knows what they mean.

8 Likes

And if you do try to be “correct” and say “Union Flag”, there’s a good chance you’ll be met with a blank look or a “huh?”

4 Likes

Is this an example of a Stroop test?

2 Likes

Mountain mole hill.

If I see a tail light on the right blinking I assume they are about to turn right. I don’t look at the design of the light. I don’t have time to admire the design, I have to get back to the text message I was composing.

Here in Michigan a turn signal tells other drivers to speed up and do not let the other driver over. That’s why we don’t use them when changing lanes.

I would like an engineer to come over and change my headlights that require removing the entire front bumper along with 32 screws and bolts. That’s a real problem.

1 Like

You’re all missing the point. It’s a ruse, to foil predators.

Actually, I agree, the union jack stuff on a car that’s no longer UK made or owned is just more jingoistic faux patriotic bull. The kind of nonsense that brought us Brexit, which is going very well right now!!

8 Likes

I think the main argument against the design is those cases where you cannot see both of the rear turn signals, such as while making a glance to the side while in heavy traffic. In my vehicle its not unusual for cars in neighboring lanes to be obscured by the A-aar.

Certainly the correct thing to do is to wait until you’re sure, but the illogical direction indicator would cause an unneeded mental burden on the driver.

2 Likes

I think this could be a Stroop test. I’ll keep this post short, as I’d hate to Waffle on.

7 Likes

Sure you can! We’re experts with decades of experience!

3 Likes

I’d heard something of this before; thanks for the link. But I found it quite disappointing when the unfamiliar term I discovered there - ‘vexillologist’ - did not mean ‘someone who studies vexing things’ but ‘someone who studies flags’. :-/

1 Like

As another Brit, this. My first reaction was cringing at the cheesiness. It started with Cool Britania in the 90s and it’s been downhill ever since.

3 Likes

munro live recently did an evaluation of the new electric mini but they did comment on that

No one has yet highlighted a key stress case. You’re driving down the highway at twilight. Ahead of you there’s a car with its headlights off that you can barely see, or maybe you don’t even notice. It signals a lane change. What assumptions do you make about its location based on the shape of the light?

This is hard enough if the car has standard rectangular/circular indicators. If the indicator accidentally looks like an arrow, you might start to make really bad assumptions, especially as intentionally-directionally-shaped indicators are more common these days.

3 Likes

I’m surprised at the leeway allowed in braking and turn signals on all modern cars. Some of these LED lights are so bright they leave a dark spot in my eye afterwards.

4 Likes

1 Like

No, no. Please. Go on

1 Like

As someone who has ridden a bicycle in Sacramento, I can attest to the truth of this.

1 Like

You had a Gen 1 JCW, which is squeezing 215 hp out of a single overhead cam 1.6 4-cylinder engine and using a supercharger to assist with that. Not that the Tritec engine was a great engine, but it does meet the definition of a high-performance engine, and with that goes a lot of other things, mainly being temperamental.

While I feel your pain regarding replacing a clutch at 84k, replacing the clutch @ ~100k (+/- 8k) in a Mini is standard, and clutch wear is pretty much dependent on how you drive. Again, pumping out 215hp is going to be rough on any system in a car that small.

ETA: Also, the car is assembled in England. And despite its Teutonic parentage, the operative words here are English and car.

1 Like

They’re still assembled in the UK.

NO! The only country in the whole fucking world where this is a problem is the USA! Because of their traffic laws that insist that the side light, brake light and indicator lights are all the same fucking colour!
Everywhere else actually has an intelligent, well thought out system where the brake light is the same colour as the side-light, red, just brighter, while the turn indicator signal is Amber, which is the centre, horizontal bar in the Mini taillight cluster.
There is no ambiguity, it works perfectly, and maintains the integrity of using the Union flag split into two halves.
The US transportation law makers still won’t allow the use of LED matrix headlights which are legal everywhere else, so it’s hardly surprising that they can’t get their heads around an idea that everyone else has been using for at least half a fucking century! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::exploding_head:
…And breathe.

4 Likes

What? Why? Are you under the same illusion as here