The Women's March and the Judean People's Front: After Occupy, after trumpism, a new networked politics

only if you don’t count reservists.

“Language issues” feels like an excellent way to wrap our minds around what’s trying to happen. Left and right is an 18th century frame, that works quite poorly to describe a 21st century predicament.

The way I see things, white European males are traditionally at the center of a collection of very bad habits, mostly having to do with externalized costs, with privatized benefits. For roughly 500 years, there has been an ample pool of invisible problem solvers, who take it in the shorts so that a few white-Ish mostly male types can have better lives.

Women’s work has been invisible, brown lives just didn’t matter as much, and the economic distortions brought on by these bad habits have never been corrected. This is why it feels so overwhelming to catalog all the myriad political battle fronts today, all the genuinely pressing issues that open minded angry young people and their allies find ourselves drawn to. It’s certainly a target-rich environment!

The big problem with this exploitive economy is that it’s run out of new markets, and the newest ponzi players are getting wise to this fact. Global warming isn’t to root cause of any of it, but it’s one huge consequence that cannot be weaseled out of. There’s nowhere left to hide the inconsistencies behind “heads I win, tales you lose” capitalism.

Donald Trumps’ brief ascendancy is like the battle of the bulge in all this. There is nothing sustainable about any of it. While German fascism was about acquiring new lands and fresh legitimacy for the chosen people, this branch of fascism is about maintaining what that bunch is traditionally used to.

3 Likes

I did find it odd that they did that. Consensus-driven decision making is highly resistant to change since a fairly large segment of the population are naturally risk averse. That makes it less than ideal for the purposes of running a movement which should be able to respond quickly to events and try out new tactics. Never mind that it makes spying ridiculously easy.

Of course, then we’ve got a whole nother problem.

1 Like

The number I used is the standing regular Army, and does not include reserves, national guard, or other branches of the service.

The other number reflects protesters in DC- and does not include the other solidarity marches both in the US and internationally.

This was also based on early estimates. More detailed numbers now place 750,000 in Los Angeles, 140,000 in Boston, 250,000 in New York.

http://usuncut.com/news/official-womens-march-attendance/

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.