Think of the Karens

Can we stop using “Karen” as a pejorative term do describe an angry woman?

13 Likes

If it’s a woman that’s being angry at a service worker and she’s clearly in the wrong, probably not. That’s just what the word means now.

20 Likes

Yes, as soon as someone comes up with a more catchy term. How about Kathy? Wait, she’s the chatty one.

9 Likes

Not the term I would have picked either, but there are countless guys out there named “Dick” who have been dealing with a similar annoyance for generations.

26 Likes

If your name is Richard and you voluntarily choose to go with “Dick”, you’re just asking for it. I mean come on:
https://www.congress.gov/member/dick-swett/S001113

10 Likes

I think it’s awful and sexist. Where’s the term for men doing the same thing? I guarantee there are more of them but they don’t get the same shaming and labelling.

3 Likes

“Asshole”

15 Likes

Or here on Boing Boing, “Gentleman.”

27 Likes

Let me go on record to say that I stan your insistence that names shouldn’t be used as pejorative terms.

11 Likes

Or Pete Schweddy

13 Likes

My grandfathers both went by “Dick” long before the name became widely adopted as a pejorative in the 1960s. So similar to the plight of modern-day women named Karen. Sure, they could start going by “Kay” or something but who wants to change the name they’ve identified with their whole life?

7 Likes

I haven’t been around long enough to know personally, but according to the internet “dick” has meant “penis” for a couple hundred years at least. Or do you mean the “jerk” connotation specifically?

fwiw, the male version of “Karen” is “Terry.” it’s apparently just science:

14 Likes

Oh wow. This is even sadder. I know exactly one person named Terry, and he is a sweet man who, along with his male (!) partner helped me negotiate coming of age in Dumbfuckitopia. And one of my favorite persons is a Karen who saved me from getting beaten to death (not figuratively speaking) by a local thug who is now a Pillar of the Community back in Dumbfuckitopia*.

*Dumfuckitopia is the county seat of Cuzzinfuk County, in rural west Shitholistan.

1 Like

Just remember: Don’t blame the victim because something unwanted is thrust upon them.

3 Likes

At this point, I don’t think we can. Like the term “tea-bagger,” It’s been written in indelible ink on the public consciousness.

1 Like

You must be joshing.

13 Likes
5 Likes

I worked with someone called Richard Head. I guess it wasn’t a common insult when his parents named him.

Take him down a Peg.

2 Likes