This 1936 film celebrates maker culture (boys only, please)

You sound… butthurt. Lemme guess, you want the girls to go back to the kitchen where they “belong,” no? I’ve got a better idea: why don’t we teach useful skills to everyone, regardless of gender? I kind of regret NOT taking a Home Ec class in high school, though I did manage to learn to cook just the same - and I thought it unfortunate that there were very few girls in the shop classes I took. Let’s not forget that without Rosie the Riveter, a lot of our soldiers wouldn’t have had the equipment they needed in World War II, for that matter.

Or were you rooting for the Wehrmacht? /s

Cooking is certainly a useful thing for guys to know, and when you get right down to it, it falls into its own “maker” category. I may tend to keep things simple, but it’s nice to be able to have a good meal whose preparation instructions aren’t “stick the tray into the microwave and nuke it for four minutes,” and to have steak fajitas that don’t cost $15/plate.

Important to note how masculinity was defined there. Not so purely physical?

also, soap-box orators is a Band Name

Hmm, I read through my post again and found nothing about not wanting girls to go back to the kitchen. I guess I should go back in time and lecture them on the proper enlightened societal norms? My post was about the author smugly making fun of the past and you turn it into my support of the Wehrmacht? I only wish my brain could make such massive jumps in logic.

And seriously, “butthurt”? That’s the best you could do?

To me it read like backhanded alt-right talking points: “How dare anyone criticize the Good Old Days (when people absolutely were pigeonholed by race, gender, handicaps, etc.)”

Having played Battleship, I’d rather wash dishes with the girls.

The past is fair game to criticize about certain things. The problem comes when you equate what they were doing as “wrong” compared to present-day morality. It is not a fair comparison. At the time, what they were doing worked for them. Like I said, there are many things today that might be laughed at and derided by people in the future. I didn’t see anything in the newsreel that said that girls were not allowed to make their own soapboxes. Instead of the smug outrage, the author could have simply made a comment about how kids in the past were much more mechanically inclined and enjoyed working with their hands compared to kids today. Unfortunately an article like that would not allow the progressives to smugly pass judgement.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.