This bicycle has invisible wheels

Those fat-tire bikes look so wrong to me in a nails-on-chalkboard sense.

4 Likes

Dude installed his forks backwards after taking them off his bike.

(And hope he keeps that bike to paved roads with no curbs)

11 Likes

I mean the difference between the hub and the wheel itself is rather significant but yes i am happy. Thanks :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Exactly my thought as well. Adding a bunch of weight for no real benefit. The rigidness of the plastic makes the wheels extra-stiff and the solid discs prevent any lateral flexing which means these will ride like shit. Nothing I detest more than being forced to skip thru a 5 min video in order to find out the “secret”. As enjoyable as those “10 Secret Hacks” sites that puts each one on a separate page.

5 Likes

without that fat tire cushioning that plexiglass, it would probably shatter very easily, particularly under any hard riding where aero would be a benefit. they already have wheel covers for that, and they’re never used up front except on an indoor track because any cross wind will turn it into a sail and ruin your steering.

this guy just took a fat bike with disc brakes and turned it into something he could only ride on smooth, flat pavement. and at top speed, if he locked up those disc rotors, the torque generated will stress that plexiglass in a bad way. not sure if the plexiglass around the hub’s bolts or the plexiglass with the screws through the rim will fail (or both) nor how many trys it will take, but I don’t want to be the rider who finds out.
way to go, kooky youtube guy. you crippled your bike for views. maybe his ad revenue offsets the time and materials? I bet he turned around and put the spokes back on after he shot the video.

7 Likes

The effect is totally ruined by reflection. Now instead of a near invisible blur of spokes, you see flashes of light and dark.

4 Likes

All six of them!

Maybe there will be a sequel where he stress tests it.

6 Likes

My first thought was “How much fun will that be in a crosswind?”. But it looks cool, so I’ll allow it.

My other thought was “Use a pilot drill, dammit!”. That hole at 3:40 just makes me angry.

6 Likes

Yep. Looks like a mountain bike now rendered useless for rough trails; all those possible fracture points where the (now) thinned-out plastic is screwed to the rim.

5 Likes

The soda can workbench got me, not to mention the cutting 1/4 inch all thread with a grinder. At least run a nut on it first so you can turn it off to repair the treads easily.

3 Likes

You can dish a wheel with soda cans. I’ve heard.

1 Like

He only needed to have the bike last long enough to show it being used. Note how he totally babied it when riding through the park.

4 Likes

Oh, let me try!
I wish he hadn’t used Tasty-style video production. Something about that method drives me crazy.

1 Like

This bicycle has invisible wheels

I think you’ve misspelled “transparent”.

4 Likes

I’m more of a “right tool for the right job” type when it comes to bicycles. I cringe when I see a fat-tire mountain bike on the bike trail, since those fat, knobby tractor tires can’t be that easy to push on pavement. Slicks would be much better for that application - and wide slicks with a circular or near-circular profile are quite good for low rolling resistance. On the other hand, if I were riding off-road, I’d love to have the tractor tires.

2 Likes

That, or I hope he used a set of cheap wheels (think Walmart Huffy-grade) for this.

ETA: An example of a Walmart Huffy in action:

3 Likes

Now, that’s odd. He didn’t need to take the fork off to build up the wheels and I can’t think of a mistake he might have made putting the hub and rotor on the plastic that he decided to solve by turning the fork around. Interesting.

3 Likes

That said, it looks like that bike is worth about $230.

1 Like

2fa7e0

9 Likes

MTB Disk wheels were a thing… but they are no longer a thing. This was because they were generally a terrible idea.

They sure did look cool though… this on the other hand.

I can’t help but think thin transparent spokes would have provided much of the same effect without compromising the wheel quite as much. Appropriately thick fishing line with some kind of fasteners could work… for a time.

4 Likes