This could be United Airlines' new TV commercial

Considering the amount of subsidies and credits they receive from the gov’t (ie citizens), you’d think we would have a seat at the --HAHAHA ahem

Sorry…

7 Likes

16 Likes

Wow, I’m remembering a trip I took for work in the late 90s. Chicago to Columbia, SC. United. We sat at the gate with the door closed while they alternately threatened/sweet-talked the passengers to give up 5 seats because the plane was overweight. Passengers pointedly NOT looking at the three gentlemen between 350-400 lbs in first class…

We did take off, four hours late. I would have volunteered to take the first flight out in the AM, but the colleague I was working with the next day would not have sympathized and had zero sense of humor.

1 Like

“Since 911”? What’s the significance of that date? I’m confused.

1 Like

was there not a parody of two ducks flying in that formation fly me oops

1 Like

I don’t think they actually weigh the plane (or have sensors for weight in the landing gear), and they certainly don’t weigh the individual passengers apart from on very small aircraft where the pilot assigns each passenger a seat based on their weight to balance the aircraft. They estimate the weight based on the number of men, women and children on board. There was a flight a few years ago in the UK which wasn’t allowed to take off because the passengers were almost all men, and combined with the large amounts of checked baggage which is weighed (it was a flight to Geneva in winter, so lots of people had brought ski equipment) the plane was estimated to be over MTOW.

So it wouldn’t matter for the airline whether the very large gentlemen in First got out, or slimmer gentlemen in Economy. The estimated weight of the aircraft would go down by the same amount.

3 Likes

Progress!

9 Likes

Everything went to hell after Treaty of Saint-Clair-sur-Epte.

7 Likes

“We’ll beat you so badly you’ll be using your own face as a flotation device.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jimmy-kimmel-united-commercial_us_58ec7654e4b0df7e2044b81e?

Kimmel’s United commercial starts at 04:13

1 Like

4 Likes

Guess they should have offered more than $1000 before resorting to assault.

7 Likes

6 Likes

That shows them losing less than 5% of their value. I would have thought it would be more.

You see that row of seats directly behind fight club? I always take one of those seats. Sure, it doesn’t recline due to the bulkhead, but I can pretty much get coffee whenever I want and, probably related, there’s easy access to the bathroom.

Now I can add that it is a great defensible wedge position so the po po can’t poke me in the ribs from behind to get me to jump out of my seat.

2 Likes

United Fist Class. Now with Priority Beating!

2 Likes

This also could be the lead-in for United Airlines’ ad

Sure, you probably knew United runs red-eye flights from Anchorage to Chicago, but did you also know United runs black-eye flights from Chicago to Louisville?

3 Likes

Because using security people to physically remove people from the planes causes unacceptable public relations, United is now switching to a no-touch method. If people are needed to de-plane, live scorpions will be randomly dropped until enough volunteers have left the plane.

3 Likes

6 Likes

This would a really great sticker campaign. Seriously. Plastering these guys and others like them around airports worldwide would be fun!