This guy wrote a program to call scammers' phone lines 28 times a second

There’s a new one out there now. You receive a call from what looks like a local number to you.

In the U.S., it’s spoofed to come from your exchange, so the first six digits (555-555-xxxx) are the same as yours.

If you do not answer it then but wait, when you call it back it resolves back to the scammers who called you in the first place.

Not true in the U.S. It goes to the phone number that they spoofed. They have no way to intercept that call.

Does it work with POTUS scammers? It’s like a “you have won” scam, but it’s “we’re gonna win bigly” instead.

1 Like

The IRS will never call you. All of their contact is via mail.

From IRS publication “2016 Instructions 1040”:

“Daytime Phone Number
Providing your daytime phone number may help speed the processing of your return. We may have questions about items on your return, such as the earned income credit or the credit for child and dependent care expenses. If you answer our questions over the phone, we may be able to continue processing your return without mailing you a letter. If you are filing a joint return, you can enter either your or your spouse’s daytime phone number.”

H&R Block’s taxpaying software wouldn’t let me leave this field blank, so I entered 999-999-9999.

2 Likes

If I could get a feature to whitelist my phone to only the few numbers I want calls from I would turn it on.

I did that by attaching one of these to my landline, upstream of the telephones.

Don’t be sorry. Don’t want me to call? The do-not-call list is free.

2 Likes

I resorted to a Tasker script that automatically sends any calls from a number not in my contacts list to voicemail, but it doesn’t always catch on fast enough and I get half a ring, the robots on the other end can still leave me voicemails letting me know that a warrant has been issues for my arrest, and my call log is completely full of incoming calls from spammers.

If you know of better options, I’d love to hear them.

1 Like

How can I make this happen when someone calls my cell phone?

1 Like

Calling your clients, not a problem. Cold calling a “prospect”? Now you are part of the problem. If I need whatever service or product you are pitching, I’ll call you.

5 Likes

What the hell? Why do you drop to your knees to cry about these IRS Scammers getting robo-called back? Geez

I’ve gotten multiple calls from multiple numbers. Because I am not old and my voice is deep they tend to hang up when I call back. I tried to disguise my voice to engage and they get angry pretty fast. I was told I needed my “medication”. I think called back one IRS scammer 80 times in about 5 minutes… call hang up call hang up. You could hear them trying to scream at me before I hung up on them again. One of them started to meow over and over again like a cat at me. Show no mercy! I’d love to get the program to call them. I posted their number to Facebook incase one of my friends knew some thing to fk them over.

2 Likes

5 Likes

I have no compunction about calling these people scum. They know what they are doing, and know that it hurts people, and they don’t care at all. Do we have sympathy for online harrassers of women? Then why for those tricking old people out of their money and scaring them half to death with talk of arrest warrants? And like many have said here, if you call them on it they resort to harassment tactics, proving they are pretty much one and the same with online harrassers.

If I could deliver a painful shock through the telephone, these people would be hurting. And Al Milgrom be damned, I wouldn’t need anyone standing by saying they would take responsibility for me.

3 Likes

[quote=“LimitingFactor, post:48, topic:103549”]
How can I make this happen when someone calls my cell phone?[/quote]

As in, you wish to have a (very simple) Turing test that most robo dialers cannot bypass?

2 Likes

Are you replying to the correct person?

The post you’re replying to is @LurkingGrue apologizing to @Boundegar because he wants to block all unsolicited phone calls. I didn’t see @LurkingGrue crying about IRS scammers who got robo-called.

1 Like

I don’t have a landline anymore - I get a ton of calls on my cell from scammers.

1 Like

I guess it will simply switch to cellphones, more importantly smartphones. And with more and more landlines switching to VOIP, there’s a router attached which is also a computer.

So simply disallow unknown numbers and have them looked up automatically, etc.

That’s partly what I do. Whenever I see a new number in the mails my router sends me, I paste it in google. When I get a “bad number score”, I block it.

By that manual method is only possible because we get these calls only every other week at most. Guess there are not enough Indians who speak German. Most callers are natives.

1 Like

Isn’t that a rather patronizing attitude, that we gentlefolk of the privileged first world should show nobility towards those lesser than ourselves? I’ll leave you to “Take up the White Man’s burden” then.

Here, in the late stage post-colonialism at my virtual front door, all “scumbags of the lowest order” get treated the same regardless of their race, religion, or international calling code when they call multiple times a day with a fraudulent “duct cleaning” scam.

3 Likes

I am and it doesn’t seem to really help. There are just many telemarketers that do not seem to care. I’m guessing they are lead companies that work to find people that are gullible enough to get home repair from some random call center.

I guess it could be worse if I was off of the list.

3 Likes

If you cold call people, you’re a disrespectful creep. It’s intrusive and annoying. We’re bombarded by advertising everywhere. We don’t need more reminders that people have shit to sell, during our dinner time.

12 Likes

Totally true, but I would be more than happy to inflict this on any organization that feels like it’s ok to call me on my cell phone if I didn’t personally give them my number.

7 Likes