This guy's hard drive with $500 million in bitcoin is lost at a dump, and local officials won't let him retrieve it

Another excellent point. In addition to reckless, it was irresponsible.

3 Likes

This guy fucks.

Shit happens.

1 Like

My ex-mother in law thinks she threw away a gold watch once. Evidently cleaning up, and had it wrapped in a tissue and then swept the contents into the trash for some reason. Only later did she wonder where it was and the last time she saw it.

3 Likes

There have been some entertaining DEFCON talks about just how difficult it is to really destroy a hard drive in a hurry.

I remain hopeful that one day I will save the owner of a data recovery business from a car crash and thereby secure an economical route to recovering the old drive I keep kicking around, because the data on there isn’t quite worth the usual $500 recovery charge.

5 Likes

Yup, I live in Newport and the council is DESPERATE for money.

He should take out a massive loan and buy off the right people, Tory style.

4 Likes

It’s too bad he doesn’t already have $500 million, in which case he’d probably not only get free rein at the landfill, but could likely have it named after himself.

4 Likes

brenda chapman lol GIF by Half The Picture

5 Likes

He just needs to find the right tech bro into risky investments - “give me $20 million now, I’ll buy the dump for $10 million, then I’ll pay 1000 people $10000 each to sort the trash, then when we find it I’ll pay you $200 million”

14 Likes

Even with the destruction of a drive, data could be recovered from it. See what has been done with AFM and MFM.

I recall reading of a proven method of recovering erased data from a disk drive using a home-built atomic-force microscope.
http://electron.mit.edu/~gsteele/mirrors/elchem.kaist.ac.kr/jhkwak/TopometrixWeb/datast1.htm

2 Likes

5 Likes

I love this story, we worked together briefly in Newport, nice lad, but this is always hilarious! Even at the time it was a staggering task, and i am sure it has been reported here more than once! I cannot imagine what it would take to find the drive, literal hard drive in the rubbish stack :persevere:

4 Likes

Well, I guess the 8000 bitcoins are lost to the world, but if it’s any consolation the 1½ million tons of carbon dioxide they took to mine should still be here.

19 Likes

I feel like this kind of “dude looses his bit coin wallet worth 1/2 billion dollars” is one of the keys to the valuation of bitcoins, kind of the way mothers throwing out comics are one of the keys to some comics being worth so much :thinking:

6 Likes

He should be cutting local officials in on it. Allow him to sign a waiver and search landfill for $10,000/hr, with a few hours fronted until he finds the drive and gets the money to get him started.

2 Likes

On the bright side, the value of his loss has dropped over 25% in the last month. So there’s that.

3 Likes

:fire_engine:

just what I got from that

1 Like

not like looking at a timeless french carriage clock on the antiques roadshow that got seminal representation for being such a rarity… just too gorgeous

1 Like

If there was a solid plan he’d be able to find an investor or two and pay the dump to make this happen. Everyone probably does the risk/benefit analysis and determines it’s not going to happen.

1 Like

Well, easy come, easy go.

1 Like