This is why most people are right-handed

One friend of mine I am particularly thinking about is a lefty, but chose to play righty because that just felt correct to him when he learned. He could have flipped it over and played lefty, but didn’t, so it’s not always external circumstances.

Heh. That is a valid consideration. On the other hand, if you play lefty then it keeps drunken righties from borrowing your guitar to show everyone at the party how they just learned the opening lick from “Stairway To Heaven.”

4 Likes

That’s the hand I use … well, nevermind.

1 Like

She didn’t march left down to the school?

6 Likes

yeah, I experienced the same as I said above.
although I am with @SarahARoyce in spirit; the “everything defaults to right-handed” mentality, where righties think they’re correct in doing so rather than just lucking into the majority, is a real fucking drag, man.

3 Likes

And there is also the Albert King route-- play a righty-strung guitar lefty– from what little I’ve seen of these few players (Otis Rush and Little Jimmy King, all blues players) they primarily do solos and not a lot of chords/comping.

4 Likes

I (a mostly righty) taught my lefty sister to crochet. She does it well, and it’s a perfect mirror image of the standard stitches.

I write, eat, cook and use scissors right handed, but I (apparently) thread a needle left handed. And, I feel more comfortable shooting a pistol left handed, for whatever reason, maybe it’s steadier and that’s why my needle threading is also lefty? Or maybe that’s eye dominance?

4 Likes

I sight a pistol left-hand-left-eye but rifles trigger-left-right-eye-barrel-right so I think you may be right about that.

last Independence Day, I experimented with sighting the rifle left-eye and found it wasn’t difficult, but just not my default choice.

I just now mimed threading a needle and chose left-eye, then switched, then couldn’t tell because I was too self-conscious. I rarely sew but I’ll definitely take note next time.

2 Likes

4 Likes

heh - i suppose “immediately” would’ve been a better choice of words there :smirk:

2 Likes

Why do they assume caveman artists put their hands palm side down when making sprayed hand prints?

2 Likes

When I started stage combat lessons I was informed that we all had to fight right handed for safety reasons. I was kind of terrified but it actually turned out to be no big deal. I also play ukulele right handed because I’m too lazy to restring the instruments. I’m not very good but I suspect it would be the same if I played left handed.

5 Likes

there are probably visual cues which allow them to make that call.

Does eye dominance play into any of this?

I am right-handed but left-eyed.

I think a lot of us are more ambidextrous than many of our ancestors, thanks to one thing: the computer keyboard. It requires quick coordination between both hands, to use it properly. Yes, there are plenty of things that require two hands, but not quite the same way.

Phones and tablets may be reversing that trend, however.

5 Likes

Came here to say just that. I also suspect “lefty” guitars are really for right-handed people.

2 Likes

Depends…if drunk enough they won’t notice anything wrong with the guitar or the wonky arpeggios they’re playing

2 Likes

With a side order of egg’n’chicken.

1 Like

Yes, I felt the same way when I first picked up the guitar. And it should be said, I picked up a right handed guitar first because that’s what was available on the used market. I had considered restringing it, but I do like doing the complicated bits with my left hand

1 Like

Insisted! Must be nice… I recall getting my evil left hand slapped with a ruler by the nuns in grade 2. 1970’s Catholic school.

1 Like

Help me understand… I a musically challenged. Did this arrangement give Hendrix that… Hendrix sound? Or would he sound the same even with standard stringing?