This is why that stupid way to multiply isn't so stupid after all

They all get left behind - with a few rare “mathematically minded” exceptions - unless they have instruction outside of the school. Our schools* simply cannot teach any average person math, from my observation.

80% of incoming freshmen at the local comprehensive high school are not able to perform 3rd grade math (true real figure) and that percentage has been climbing every year I’ve been watching it.

* specifically speaking of Delaware, USA schools. I understand Massachusetts schools and some Californian schools outperform the rest of the country in math testing.

1 Like

The only thing i’m seeing is that you can use the area model to multiply arbitrarily long integers as well*. The two are basically the same**: multiplying digits by digits and somehow keeping track of the powers of ten. The “standard” algorithm just does part of the addition interspersed with the digit multiplication. (Also, it has a bit less writing.)

* I now have noticed your reply to kennykb.
** As is @kennykb’s algorithm.

@brad_quinn already mentioned this a while back, but in SMBC form. Or possibly I’m misunderstanding your comment.

I think you are, but it’s hard to tell.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.