This song by George Harrison makes fun of the copyright infringement case he lost

:thinking: I wonder how much of that emotion was about the purchase, vs. the description of the songs?

3 Likes

That seems so petty to me, battling over the order of credit… :grimacing:

3 Likes

The fact that he did it, got caught and IMO rightly called out for it…and then keeps trying it tells me all I never needed to know about him as a person.

3 Likes

After reading a biography about George in the past year or so, I really lost respect for Paul, who apparently only allotted George one song per album, on average, despite George’s having written lots of songs. See also Paul’s behavior in Get Back, where he is an @$$hole much of the time. Sigh.

I still like a lot of Paul’s music (Wings Over America is a great concert album), but I don’t like him very much as a human any more.

3 Likes

That’s an interesting take Sylvia. The original Let it Be documentary portrayed McCartney as a controlling tyrant via the tension between him and George but the more nuanced Peter Jackson recent re-editing shows how hard he was working to keep the Beatles and their impossibly deadlined project on track. Most critics have seen this as a rehabilitation of McCartney’s reputation.
Having said all that, George’s songwriting was definitely undervalued by the band and he understandably grew to resent the fact. It must have been so sweet for him to create the best two songs on Abbey Road.

3 Likes

From that Jackson documentary I watched while I was sick: Lennon and McCartney were lazy. They knew they could take any old shite, sing it in fifths and the chemistry of their voices would make it sound good. They were too lazy and set in their ways to allow Harrison, the best at harmony of the three, into their process, to the diminishment of the Beatles. Also George was a natural bass player, Paul wasn’t (in rehearsals he played about as well as John), John played some of rhe bettter lead lines (and George was mentally undermined by his melodic limitations on the guitar). Paul should have played acoustic guitar or piano (despite no right hand).

1 Like

Wrong Traveling Wilbury. forgive me

5 Likes

my little pony rimshot GIF

4 Likes

That one was was more of a deliberate reference/homage. It had to be. It’s like the thing They might be giants do constantly. Speaking of goofy bands and stealing Melodies, I always thought it was pretty obvious that Ween ripped off the chariots of fire melody for their song japanese cowboy. When I looked it up just now I see they said it wasn’t intentional but later kinda embraced it and e incorporated it into their live performances: Ween - Japanese Cowboy - YouTube

1 Like

The first time I heard Springsteen’s Outlaw Pete (in 2009), I was certain that he had gotten the riff from Kiss, and that there was about to be a lawsuit.

No lawsuits ensued, and Gene Simmons said " We didn’t sue Bruce Springsteen for ‘Outlaw Pete’ . How do we decide who to sue and who not to? We like Springsteen . We don’t sue."

3 Likes

I would be fine with that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.