This stabilized first-person footage of a mountain bike run is quite thrilling

I’m guessing this is closer to what the rider experiences than the utter chaos of non-stabilized videos. With all the neat compensation and filtering that human perception is capable of.

5 Likes

Every fatality on a bicycle I’ve heard of was on pavement with the bike travelling at under 15 mph, and always a head injury.

2 Likes

Well I’ll be. That’s nuts how good that came out.
I’ve just checked- that’s a cheapie gimbal, too (by relative standards…) at under $200 some places. Whoa.

2 Likes

Good plan.

Sometimes in the summer I cover downhill bike races at my ski area. Some of the trails people bike down are steep enough that I have trouble getting enough traction with hiking boots to keep from sliding.

And, yeah, some of the wrecks have been ugly. I’ve never covered a fatality, but open leg fractures and one crushed C4 (the dude was actually walking a year later. Amazingly supporting girlfriend, hope they’re still together.)

On the other hand, the less insane trails are a great way to cruise the mountains in summer. Lots cheaper than horses.

1 Like

Is this a single-use biking trail? At that speed on such a narrow path what happens when you encounter a hiker or a horse?

I’m pretty sure it’s chickens.

2 Likes

Chickens all the way down.

2 Likes

Actually the “Endor” speeder bike sequence was real life footage of the “Cheatham Grove” California and utilized a very early prototype of a ‘steady cam’.
A walk through the woods at human speed and 1fps was turned into the speeder bike chase with the help of image stabilization.
http://www.steadishots.org/shots_detail.cfm?shotID=249

1 Like

How did they do the motion blur, long exposures on slow film?

Speaking of weird head action, what’s up with the hosts of these videos? See how their head bobs around from 0:06 to 0:12 and 0:54 to 0:58?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.