This worm eats plastic bags

Came here to say this exact thing.

Earlier today I was thinking about using plastic bags as a form of urban camouflage.

This is a big part of the reason I prefer self-checkout. I don’t want to micromanage some surly teenager and earn a reputation for being a difficult curmudgeon.

I really should just get some reusables. I’ve had some friends suggest that they are unsanitary but that was said shortly after they complained about plastic bag surcharges (which had probably come out of a larger harangue about liberals in general) so I’ll take that claim with a grain of salt. Seems like right-wing paranoia.

Edit: regarding the actual thread topic, I wonder if it would be possible to add nutrients to (some) plastic to make it so these worms could live off it. I know the scientists are more interested in figuring out the chemical that they use to break down the plastic so it could be manufactured and utilized but maybe modifying materials to make them easier for existing processes to deal with is a better path.

On the other hand, I don’t want to put the cashier out of work. Decisions, decisions.

And yes, the reusable bags are terribly unsanitary if you scoop the salad bar right into them. Cans and boxes are probably less of a risk.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.