Thousands of American kids are getting free university educations in Germany

It’s free at my alma mater, too.

3 Likes

The $120 are quite an exception. Most German universities are more like $300 - $350 per semester.

Also the GPA requirements really depend on the subject. Since they depend on how popular a subject is (how many slots vs. how many applicants), e.g. pretty much all STEM-subjects don’t have GPA requirements at all (at most universities) while a lot of liberal arts subjects have GPA requirements of 3.0 or higher.

1 Like

Looks like the demand of a field vs demand for the field are inversely related.

Quite scary to see underwater basket weaving requiring GPA close to 4 and machinery or electronics being essentially walk-in.

Please donate to his campaign.

Thanks but I think I’ll pass:

Any tl;dr version for those interested enough to be curious but not interested in politics enough to read the Chinese Wall of Text?

(Also, any less bad candidate out there who actually has at least a snowball-in-hell chance? Idealism is a nice thing but in real, dirty and messy systems pragmatism gets better results. As an engineer I can say that a sleek machine you don’t have gets squarely beaten by a crudely repaired salvaged clunker you have.)

6 Likes

TL;DR: Bernie Sanders isn’t a leftist pipe dream so don’t support him. Also, once he inevitably loses, it’ll make us all very sad.

Meanwhile, the mantra that he can’t win is getting old and tired:

Bernie Sanders shocks with 41 percent of the vote:

The Vermont senator’s ideas and policies have far more public support than our oligarchs want you to believe:

12 Likes

That’s the other extreme - short and terse, easy to digest piece of information, but doesn’t tell why. :stuck_out_tongue:

…also, is there actually anybody better out there? Politics is about the least evil…

2 Likes

Hey I know! How about if we reject Clinton and reject Sanders and just stay home! Boy will that send a message! After four or eight years of whoever the next Bush is, the popular kids will come begging us to let them in on our secret, and we can be all smug!

9 Likes

[quote=“shaddack, post:13, topic:59240”]
That’s the other extreme - short and terse, easy to digest piece of information, but doesn’t tell why.
[/quote]The article doesn’t tell why, either.

6 Likes

That explains why I did not get any information from it on a brief scan. I originally blamed the briefness of the scan.

4 Likes

It’s sad that we give an R 4 or 8 years … then say well that didn’t go well, then put a D in for 4 or 8 years … and then look back and think that was no good. BACK TO R!

5 Likes

[quote=“lamaranagram, post:17, topic:59240, full:true”]
It’s sad that we give an R 4 or 8 years … then say well that didn’t go well, then put a D in for 4 or 8 years … and then look back and think that was no good. BACK TO R!
[/quote]It’s tragically been that way for decades.

I hope we finally break the ping-pong cycle of false equivalency and apathy this 2016 election. It’ll be the first time in modern history we’ve consecutively voted in the Democratic party into the White House. We should probably try it, before we knock it.

Activists that ever want any hope of a truly progressive third party already know the deal. It’s never going to happen within our lifetimes when we keep putting in Republicans who have district gerrymandering along with voter suppression and disenfranchisement down to a science.

Speaking of science…

Also, continuing to regress on climate change action is no longer an option. We are running out of time.

More on this topic…

And here:

2 Likes

Get away from trying an R? They can’t even get away from trying a Bush or a Nixon.

3 Likes

Well, Obama ran on a very progressive platform (similar to Bernie Sanders) and won in a landslide with voter turnout at a 40 year high. This was while running on an agenda that included a true single payer system for health care (not Obama/RomneyCare) along with anti-war, anti-bankster, anti-disparity agendas within the same progressive platform.

It wasn’t until Obama and other Democrats failed to properly follow through on those progressive agendas that voter turnout went from a 40 year high to a 70 year low.

This country has a progressive majority. That’s why Bernie Sanders is gaining momentum via word-of-mouth despite the fact that the corporate media tries to ignore and malign him. While the Internet influence isn’t strong enough alone to bring us a Sanders win, it’s definitely a factor more than ever as well.

Times have changed since Nixon and Bush.

8 Likes

On the other hand it makes sure the people who get into the humanities courses are the best students…the ones most likely to get the few jobs available in the field. In STEM courses the first semester probably effectively weeds out the unprepared.

When I worked in the distance ed dept of a major US university, I had to check the reliability of the assessment tools each semester by taking the tests for all our courses. I could pass most of the senior-level “capstone” course finals for the humanities classes without looking at the answer key. For tech courses I needed to use the answer keys to get above 25%.
The failure rate for freshman humanities courses was low…for tech courses it was over 40%.

Online courses may not be the very best analog, but they are built by the profs who teach the on-campus courses.

4 Likes

Quite scary to see this old canard still making the rounds. It’s from the 1950s and really should have gone the way of the poodle skirt and Brylcreem.

A liberal arts degree can lead to careers in pretty much anything (yes, even med school).

9 Likes

Not for the Rs. When was the last time they won without one on the ticket?

3 Likes

[quote=“daneel, post:23, topic:59240”]
When was the last time they won without one on the ticket?
[/quote]Too long!

The keyword is “nasty”.

6 Likes

die, nasty!

4 Likes

No one tell @goodpasture.

2 Likes