Three terrible tech trends

I’ve benefited from two branchings of the workaholic poverty policy in tech - the temp agencies (contract consulting) and the third shift. Both of these were reactions to that 80+ hour job. First is when workerbees quit - you needed someone in that seat, fast - enter the temp, who does the job without training , doesn’t become part of the corp culture, gets no benefits but costs a lot, goes away after 6 wks when we hire another workerbee. Second is that although lots of guys were willing to work 16 hour days, they balked at 24, so someone had to be hired to man the phones and do the backups overnight, and get paid a nice shift differential.
But that was back in the 90s and 00s. Nowadays I’m a disabled creative trying to find freelance work when I’m able to do it for a reasonable amount, and Fiverr and Guru and iLance and all of them have priced me out of freelance work, even if I did want to work under their terms. Reading the policies on their sites is eye-opening. Reading the stories of people who used to work for these places is even worse.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.