Throw out your onions

Thanks for that mental image…

1 Like

This is limited to one source of onions, if they provide some form of certified Organic onions than those would also be suspect.

Salmonella contamination in fruits and vegetables is almost always from an organic source, but often not one that qualifies as Organic for certifications. It’s mostly untreated livestock waste.*

The core problem is that it’s contamination, and it was not detected until it’s in the supply chain. No one thought that there was contamination or were willing to ignore the safety implications. If they were ignorant they would not know that it was labeled incorrectly for a certification program. If they knew about and ignored the contamination they would need to be more concerned about honoring the certification than they were about risking lives to relabel them without the certification mark.

* I have a cousin that runs an Organic farm, and he does on occasion run livestock on fallow fields. Livestock waste can be used as fertilizer for Organic crops, but there are safety concerts that need to be address, like not using any livestock waste on crops as they are grown. Running three hogs on a field is likely not a real safety risk, it’s when a large factory farm with hundreds of animals packet together allows some untreated waste to slip into the same water supply as used to irrigate fields. The concentration of animals nearly assures there will be infections agents in the runoff.

12 Likes

OMG! The omens were right!

That’s one freaky looking onion though.

11 Likes

That’s a lotus root. Wait until you see the whole thing/plant…

13 Likes

why do we need to throw away our lotus root? where does it end?!

8 Likes

I don’t know where the 30-50 feral hogs that run into my yard within 3-5 mins while my small kids play are coming from.

OK to eat?

7 Likes

I would stick to eating the feral hogs. much easier to explain the cuts in the freezer…

9 Likes

That’s pretty effective. We’ve also seen some success with, you know, just shining a light up in there.

15 Likes

I immediately recognized it, but have never eaten lotus root. What is it like? I get the feeling it would be water chestnut-esque.

4 Likes

Exactly!
supposedly has certain “cooling” effect in Eastern medical theories.
YMMV

also, lotus root paste makes for some killer fried sesame dumpling balls! visit your local dim sum place and try them with chrysanthemum tea.

12 Likes

How sweet it were, hearing the downward stream,
With half-shut eyes ever to seem
Falling asleep in a half-dream!
To dream and dream, like yonder amber light,
Which will not leave the myrrh-bush on the height;
To hear each other’s whisper’d speech;
Eating the Lotos day by day,
To watch the crisping ripples on the beach,
And tender curving lines of creamy spray;
To lend our hearts and spirits wholly
To the influence of mild-minded melancholy;
To muse and brood and live again in memory,
With those old faces of our infancy
Heap’d over with a mound of grass,
Two handfuls of white dust, shut in an urn of brass!

6 Likes

Onions in General might be bad for you.

5 Likes

The onions are the least WTF part of that announcement.

14 Likes

It’s still okay to tie one to my belt though, right?

10 Likes

Is that still stylish?

3 Likes

It was at the time.

5 Likes

Judging from my family, your nearest sibling.

2 Likes

Folding/unfolding genitals and loud screaming seem to go together well.

7 Likes

Siblings__The playmates whose parens won't sue you__WM

10 Likes

Crunchy, not a very strong flavor, overall pretty good though.

2 Likes