TIL that CEO Ellen Pao is out at Reddit, and co-founder Steve Huffman is taking over

I didn’t know about any of this… This sucks. It’s happened to others, as well, likely some of the very people that @dragonchild12 is discussing… Does your own experiences with this stuff invalidate theirs or vice versa? I wouldn’t imagine so. The problem is power, and people’s need to subjugate others in order to validate themselves.

Yes - in some mild ways. Many women have, actually, though they might not recognize it as such. Some men need to feel as if “their women” are, in fact, “theirs”, and they actively work to compromise their partner’s sense of autonomy and agency in order to make sure they stay with them. They do this by breaking down their sense of self-worth in a variety of ways, this being one of them. Women can do it to, but it can be common in abusive relationships.

Again, this doesn’t invalidate your experiences. I’ve been told, over and over and over and over and over, my entire life, that I was a worthless human being. Still happens. None of this invalidates the abuse of others. It’s better to recognize it as a social problem, because that’s what it is. The fact that MANY people have experienced it should tell us something.

Yes, that’s pretty clear. I don’t know if it will cost you to say “I understand - it sucks for this to happen to your friends. I’ve been there myself. However, I disagree with you on X point, and thee is why.” But if you think I’m out of line, then fine.

More on this - some think Pao was set up all along, that the firing of the Victoria Taylor’s firing came from over her head, but that she was forced to take the heat:

So who’s running Hipmunk now?

Is Hipmunk still a thing?

Hipmunk? Was that ever a thing?

I guess Hipmunk is still a thing. Round C funding,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipmunk

The numbers imply it is struggling though?

Live in the Bay Area, work in tech, never heard of it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.