Tip for preventing burnout: collect information in big buckets, not tiny cups

I have rock, and psychedelic, because rock tends to be short and punchy, while psych songs tend to be longer than my car drive. Also, I shouldn’t be driving a car if I’ve indulged in the kind of things that make me want to listen to some psych.

1 Like

I don’t organize music according to genre, as that’s largely pointless and subjective to me. I hardly ever ask myself what genre a band is because most of the ones i’m interested in can fall under a combination of different ones.

My preference is to just directly organize my myself by artist, then album. However it’s been years since i’ve bothered ripping music and back it up on my PC.

1 Like

Are they familiar with the concept of network latency? If an answer is in my head, I can find it almost immediately. If it is on google I can find it in seconds to hours depending on what it is and how far it is from things I do know. My job involves a lot of answering client’s questions in real time on a wide range of tech and business topics. “I have to get back to you” is a perfectly fine answer, but I also needed to sound intelligent and knowledgable and insightful. Google definitely doesn’t help much with the last one. Info has to stew in a brain for it to become fodder for new insight.

Off-topic rant alert:

This. I was taught that a filing system is not (just) somewhere you put things, it is more importantly somewhere you retrieve things. So I grew up with folder and file structures drummed into my consciousness and have many years of meaningful subfolder naming. So yes, I am old enough to say ‘get off my lawn’ too … and regularly mutter it to the likes of Apple who believe it is a sin for me to know where my file is filed (let alone want to put it elsewhere), and go out of their way to prevent me knowing it, and even further to prevent me opening it from its location using an application of my choice. Any application that tries to force me to look at my files/content ‘through’ only that app, does not get used (or certainly not exclusively). Those (e.g. millenials?) who rely totally on one app to access content files will only learn their error when the app fails but the content remains important. My closest exception is Gmail. Stopped filing stuff in folders once I realised (how) Google search worked - but I still export it all to a separate, stand-alone email client.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.