Tips for overcoming reader's block

Tips for overcoming reader’s block?

Find better writers?
If a writer does not hold - compel, even - your attention, find one who does.

3 Likes

I’ve basically doubled my books read list this year using Overdrive and getting my iPad to read them to me via accessibility settings (at about 1.3x) while commuting. Totally gets me over the hump (or at least to the point where I know a book isn’t for me).

I thought this article was about carburetor rebuilding!

1 Like

I’ve heard that the page 69 trick works well with trashy romance paperbacks.

eink readers are the best of both worlds. Portable like a tablet, but without the distractions like dead tree. Also, being able to change the text layout and typeface has helped me read far more than I could before.

Aw. I had the opposite - any sort of fiction triggers this “I should be working” voice in the back of my brain :confused:

Especially when reading “The Temple of the Golden Pavilion” recently (Mark made me miss Japan)

These days I can get about a chapter done in a book that I’m loving before my brain goes, “Great. What else you got ?”

I have found that gathering three or four different books that are collected around a fulcrum subject but otherwise unrelated let’s me have some flexibility.

So daily I get between two to four chapters read in a small moving collection which is enough to keep my comprehension abilities treading water.

I’ve discovered that nonfiction books are easier for me to get through than fiction books.

Something like 1984 then…

well, no.

I think I expect too much from fiction.
When I see a book on astrophysics-- my thoughts are "cool, maybe I’ll learn just a bit more about stuff that necessitates math to really understand.
When I see a book of fiction, my thoughts are "cool, maybe I’ll learn about this thing called the human condition, and how to interact with other people.

Seriously.

was a breeze.

was good in parts (and ultimately satisfying), but I had to force myself down to read it.

(I meant that as a joke/commentary since we’re basically living 1984 right now)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.