Today in transphobia (Part 1)

11 Likes

Good News 80S GIF

7 Likes

I suppose, but I swear that calling it the Theatre for Artistic Freedom and Expression is meant to be covert non-controversial support for D.C.

8 Likes

Oh, yeah, good point!

I didn’t read the article – or the one-box, apparently – just made assumptions from the headline.

7 Likes

Still a better name than his and better than overt support. Not as good a a full out rejection
I have always thought naming stuff after people is fraught. In reality, there are so few genuinely good people and even less at the levels of fame, power, and money needed to even be considered as a candidate for naming something

7 Likes

Do they have a problem with upskirting they want to address but not talk about?

1 Like

No: it’s very much to keep trans girls from wearing skirts or dresses.

Because of course.

12 Likes

And cis girls too. That change is supposedly to promote “professionalism.” So the school district is saying that a person cannot be feminine and professional. It’s misogyny. And, as with all misogyny, it hurts trans girls that little bit extra.

Clarification: I agree it was done to target trans girls. Out of fear and bigotry. It also harms cis girls. All us women, we are in it together. What hurts trans women hurts cis women.

14 Likes

I’m pretty sure they would be happy to require cis girls to wear skirts.

14 Likes

Two birds, one stone?

I agree it’s absolutely an attack on trans kids, because what isn’t these days, but they should be made to defend it by asking awkward questions.

3 Likes

True, please see my clarification. It was done to hurt trans girls. It also hurts cis girls.

7 Likes

Prairie skirts, nothing above the knee.

11 Likes

Not moving in the right direction. Prepare for the worst, my lovelies.

I guess I mean the even worser worst.

14 Likes
13 Likes

steel-magnolias-hit-something

15 Likes
13 Likes

Warner Brothers’ PR department:

leslie-nielsen-nothing-to-see-here

10 Likes

Whose history is it, anyway? Examining how we commemorate the city’s first Gay Pride March

A friend.

“My fellow activists and I do not understand why the anniversary was celebrated, but the people who worked on the original march have been ignored and excluded.

“Now there has been a grand celebration of the 50th anniversary of the 1972 march, but I see little effort to reach out to the veterans of this historic event, neither organizers nor participants,” said Laurie Barron, a retired social worker who sang at the rally preceding the march. “And it wouldn’t have been all that difficult, as the William Way Community Center and Archives has contact information for many of us. Young LGBTQ folks use phrases like ‘We stand on the shoulders of pioneers,’ but when they have an opportunity to meet us, we’re invisible.”

11 Likes
15 Likes

I love Wonkette.
This gem

One can make an argument for eating people for reasons of survival. Not everyone will agree, but the argument could reasonably be made. However, without a life-or-death situation on the table, you’re just Jeffrey Dahmer.

No more appeasement. We need to go all in. Trans rights, gay rights, abortion, gun control, public education, climate change, everything
Appeasement never works anyway.

13 Likes