Today in transphobia (Part 1)

11 Likes

The NY Times did another transphobia :right_anger_bubble:

5 Likes
11 Likes

Once again I have to post this on BB

10 Likes

As long as I don’t go to the same place as the transphobes, I’ll be happy.

18 Likes

For those unfamiliar, which is likely a large majority of you, Disc Golf (golf with frisbees) has been a rapidly rising sport for the past several decades. Since COVID, it has grown exponentially to the point where some pro players are being paid 7-figure contracts now.

I’ve been a moderator on one of the oldest disc golf forums for 10+ years. You’d be surprised at how angry people can get about frisbees…or not. (It’s the internet, after all.) This is the issue that has nearly made me throw in the towel due to the countless and unrelenting transphobia that is now everywhere I look in the community.

11 Likes
16 Likes

Stick with it, please! Trans folks need allies wherever they can find them these days.

Also: fucking Quillette! Such assholes.

12 Likes

Oh, I know. I will. It’s just that I have to deal with things IRL as I have a wonderful trans kid. Now my outlet for my frustrations with the world has been taken over as well.

I’ll never stop fighting for my kid and the kids that don’t have parents who support them. Sadly, I know quite a few.

13 Likes
15 Likes
16 Likes

The American Civil Liberties Union of Pennsylvania Thursday filed a complaint with the United States Department of Justice and Department of Education, saying the district for years has perpetuated a “hostile environment for LGBTQ+ students,” particularly transgender students.

The 71-page complaint — including 26 pages of redacted student testimony — is filed on behalf of seven Central Bucks students, and details incidents of bullying, prejudiced school board policies, and ignored attempts to seek help from school staff and administrators, which the ACLU says contributes to discrimination based on sex and the violation of students’ Title IX and 14th Amendment rights.

The complaint requests the federal agencies order Central Bucks, Pennsylvania’s third-largest district, to: Use welcoming and inclusive language, ensure policies affirm students’ right to be free from discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity, adopt policies that respect all students’ gender identities and guide school staff on how to support students and communicate with families, facilitate opportunities for LGBTQ students to find peer and teacher support, and provide professional development opportunities for teachers to support LGBTQ youth.

“These children deserve a safe environment where they can learn and be their full selves without fear of being bullied by other students,” said Witold Walczak, legal director at the ACLU of Pennsylvania. “Unfortunately, rather than combat the toxic educational environment faced by LGBTQ+ students in Central Bucks, a new school board majority and the administration have exacerbated the problems with new homophobic and transphobic policies that have heightened the climate of fear for this group of students and supportive staff.”

Through interviews over five months with dozens of LGBTQ students and parents, current and former teachers, staff, and community stakeholders, Witold and ACLU lawyer Richard T. Ting said they have documented a “pattern of pervasive and often serious harassment and bullying of LGBTQ students” in many of the district’s 23 schools.

12 Likes
9 Likes
16 Likes

Absolutely true. Until quite recently, “gender confirmation surgery” (although not called that) was standard for intersex infants, almost always making them “female” regardless of the chromosomal complement. Only very recently has the concept of “leave well enough alone” been even acceptable, if not standard.

16 Likes

Can confirm: it happened to me, some time after the first month or so but before I turned 1.

15 Likes

15 Likes

Absolutely the case. This is a further extension of corporate media embracing dangerous both-siderism.

13 Likes

Also

15 Likes

also, also

12 Likes