Today in transphobia (Part 1)

I didn’t mean it as sarcasm. I meant the same reasoning behind using the phrase “pregnant people” holds for using “people who menstruate” instead of saying “women.” Because there are people who are not women who menstruate and women who do not menstruate.
As in “people who menstruate need access to free hygienic menstrual supplies” is both more precise and better than “women need access to free hygenic menstrual supplies.”

10 Likes

A question form someone who is (relatively) young and also not from the US: before the gay marriage legalization, did the states also push a lot of bigoted legislation like that trying to stop the acceptance of gay rights?

ETA: not a reply directed to @docsoc, but following that topic.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Today’s reminder:

14 Likes

I saw them on tour with The Gay Agenda. Not bad, but I think a lot of their act is just stuff that The Negro Problem was doing in the 60s.

13 Likes

Now this is a good trans question.

Rocks are hard whether there’s a law mandating it or not. So why don’t TERs go kick some.

17 Likes

More reason to support our trans mutants

North Carolina police warn LGBTQ community after transgender women shot dead in hotels 10 miles apart - ABC News (go.com)

13 Likes

A bright spot, at least for now (the bill could be brought up again next year):

11 Likes

Heartbreaking. Infuriating.

9 Likes
10 Likes

Was all “wait, why would an LGBT group be anti-trans” and then I read the headline again. :angry:

13 Likes

And now it’s official.

I just don’t see a natural constituency here in California for a Republican, anti-gay marriage candidate to become governor. She’s definitely not in the same league as Schwarzenegger was when he succeeded in the last recall effort.

But hey, I guess this is still progress indicating that more people, including some Republicans, are putting aside their transphobic biases. She once said "It was easy to come out as trans. It was harder to come out as a Republican.” And that’s exactly how it should be!

4 Likes

source

20 Likes

And in the realm of intersectionality, as a cis woman who decides you know you don’t want biological children, you will be denied the surgery to make it so. Until it’s basically too late/negligible. “You don’t really know what you want. You’ll change your mind.” :rage:
I don’t mean to dilute the content of this thread, at all, but just highlight where so many of us can join forces and fight together to get more equal medical treatment and consideration.

17 Likes

I don’t think you will get much argument from trans people. It seems to be the TERs who are happy to get rid of their own rights just as long as trans people suffer too.

14 Likes

I also put this in the BLM thread. Please share with your social networks outside of here…

14 Likes

crossposted from UK Political Thread

I am losing track of how many of these consultations i have sent responses to. Groundhog day is an accurate description.

The TERs are trying to portray what they want as “asking if you are sure”. Having been though NHS sanctioned conversion therapy I can tell you it is nothing of the sort. It is a constant attack on peoples identity, gaslighting them to the point where they aren’t sure who they are any more. I left when I realised what was going on, but I expect if I stayed to the end they would have attempted to rebuild me as they wanted. That doesn’t work, all you get is a self hating person living in fear of showing who they really are, and that is the road to suicide.

14 Likes
8 Likes

Trigger warnings for sexual abuse among other things:

Found this from here:

https://twitter.com/freeashley_now

Related…

9 Likes

Fuck, things are going backwards in the UK. I thought we had moved past this bullshit years ago.

Makeup makes my facial psoriasis flare up, so I avoid using it as much as possible. That does not make me less of a woman.

An LGBTQ+ conference organised by TERs. Can someone tell me how this won’t be a disaster?

Nick Herbert is the least worst name attached to this joke of a conference, he hasn’t done much for trans people, but he hasn’t really opposed us that much either. Some DARVO bothsiderism, but that is fairly low level for transphobia in Britain right now. Liz Truss and Kishwer Falkner are TER leaders though and vocal about their belief in inequality and denying trans equality.

15 Likes