Today in transphobia (Part 1)

I remember the shit around Tony Blair’s ID cards, exactly the same problems came up last time.

The proposed solution was that trans people got two ID cards, and for some fucked-up reason this was approved of by Press For Change, who always were assimilationist in their approach to trans rights. This was at a time when trans rights was moving forwards, not backwards, so I dread to think what the “solution” will be this time.

7 Likes

I am completely unsurprised to find out that Caitlyn Jenner is truscum.

12 Likes

True Scum; checks out

11 Likes

I feel like there is something to be said about Republicans and ladder-pulling too. Caitlyn Jenner has been correctly accepted as a woman, but heaven forbid that should give her any sympathy or make that any easier for other people to do.

12 Likes

Can we get a commission to examine just how big of a hypocritical asshole Caitlyn Jenner is? @the_borderer where does that fit on the hypocritical asshole scale?

9 Likes

Truscum have the same mentality as TERs. They do believe that trans women are women and trans men are men, but they deny that non-binary is valid and think that there are lots of fake trans people about. Throw in an insistence that trans people need to be getting medical treatment including surgery (not all binary trans people want all the treatment that can be offered, and some of those that do can’t get it for medical or financial reasons) and you have a very problematic viewpoint.

Some of them even buy into the Ray Blanchard model of homosexual transsexuals (actually heterosexual trans people) and autogynephilia (anything that isn’t attraction to the opposite gender is seen as sexual attraction to the idea of being a woman) which is extremely homophobic and transphobic (as well as biphobic and acephobic, Blanchard is in denial that there are any men or trans women who are either bi/pansexual or asexual, and he says he has the phallometrics to prove it. Pseudoscience ruins the day).

Basically it’s gatekeeping, because if there’s one thing that trans people don’t have enough of, it’s gatekeepers. /s

At best truscum need to be told that it isn’t only about them (quite a few are baby trans who haven’t worked this out yet, and some of them do grow out of it), at worst it’s the assimilationist mentality that trans people need to fit into patriarchal society and those who can’t or won’t are the problem.

Where Caitlyn Jenner is on the scale of truscum, I don’t know, but as she is a Republican my thoughts lean to the really bad end of the spectrum.

14 Likes

Like someone would ever intentionally choose to be marginalized and persecuted…

13 Likes

Actually marginalized and persecuted, of course not. But the right wing sure chooses to make up that they are marginalized and persecuted in all sorts of ways all the way up to white genocide, and they also like to project their lies onto their opponents, so…

14 Likes

There’s a major diff between actually being persecuted and having a fabricated persecution complex.

12 Likes

So they’re all about the binary, then…

Wait What Reaction GIF

So, do they not believe that asexuals exist, either?

For some reason, Norman Mailer’s White Negro essay is coming to mind, about the white Beats who embrace Black culture as a means of signifying their rejection of white society… ignoring the fact that they can easily take off their cultural interests the moment things get difficult…

Seth Meyers Reaction GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

11 Likes

Not all of them, just the Blanchard followers.

The Blanchard model believes you have to be AFAB to be bisexual or asexual. Of course Ray Blanchard (or maybe it was his collaborator J Michael Bailey, I can’t be bothered to go and find out which of that transphobic group it was) was using definitions of bisexual and asexual that no reasonable person would use, like bisexual is an exactly 50/50 split of attraction and asexual is zero sexual response to anything.

12 Likes

A commission to what, now? Since when do we need a commission for something like that? Shall we have one to determine which cis males are “cis enough?” That might be fun, eh, Caitlyn?

11 Likes

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

What frustrates me about this kind of thinking is that it doesn’t help if you’re trying to force labels on people that just don’t fit with their lived experience… like, let people figure out their own shit and then support them… how is that so difficult for some people to wrap their heads around.

14 Likes

I got a B+. It’s a pass, but apparently I need to watch more sports and obsess more about cars to have a fully male brain.
(/s forever, I hate these people)

13 Likes

Yell at the TV while you watch sports. That’s extra credit! /s

10 Likes

… … …

12 Likes

Fuck him.

11 Likes

He made a point of doing the signing at a Christian school as well. What an asshole.

11 Likes

Warning: most of the replies are TER shit.

12 Likes

I think a very large chunk of cis males already think they are the chair of that commission.

9 Likes