Today in transphobia (Part 1)

Anyone not ‘okay’ with bigotry and prejudice, let the bigots tell it.

8 Likes

He felt “attacked” by “your silence will not protect you” though? WTF? He must be keeping some dark secrets :confused:

9 Likes

Guilty conscience…

8 Likes
12 Likes

Even better. I was lucky enough be (somewhat) active on alt.fan.pratchett when the Great Man was present there. It was actually where I first met (open) trans people, some were at that time only out on afp and the associated meets and conventions!

It was also where I was first confronted by how careful and secretive LGBT+ had to be online, what a huge risk being out could be and what enormous amount of trust was needed to out yourself to someone. Even in modern western countries.

This was in the nineties and afp was one the few really safe and open community where trans issues were spoken about well outside a specific LGBT+ setting. This was a deliberate creation by pTerry himself with the aid of the moderators and the community at large!

Terry Pratchett was not only an ally and a protector he was that DECADES before it became mainstream and fashionable!

7 Likes

My personal interactions with one of the candidates here indicates a high degree of arrogance coupled with a reflexive dismissal of the expertise and capabilities of trans women. Though not exclusively. His opinion of himself is unbounded by self reflection.

Still - one has to respect his qualifications to run government given his degree in theater from on a school top ranked as a party school.

8 Likes

So he is a Master Thespian? Funny I really thought he would be older by now!

6 Likes

A guy who implies identity politics in a Latina trans woman while seeking the endorsement of an out of state gay newspaper and saying that he would be the first Jewish LGBT person elected to the State House of Representatives certainly can’t argue that he’s not sus.

8 Likes

Well, of course, it’s only identity politics if you support her. He is just a good, gay Jewish boy seeking endorsements based on his gay Jewishness. See, no identity politics at all!

Acting!!

7 Likes

There is no difference between TER’s and the far right wing.

13 Likes

rupaul-this

13 Likes

Do they even hear themselves? The one quote might as well have been from 1933. How soon do they start chanting “Trans will not replace us!”

10 Likes

As @the_borderer has often pointed out, the well-being of our trans friends is the canary in the coal mine. If people are starting to go after them as hard as they have been, a book burning is not far behind, and then we know what happened after that…

13 Likes

Must distract from children dying of Covid.

11 Likes

Food for thought:

In case it doesn’t embed properly:

Solidarity helps all of us (though self-interest isn’t the only reason we all need to fight this battle.)

17 Likes

My Twitter feed is on :fire: fire :fire: today, and this is too good not to share:

I can practically hear the voices of the actors saying these words, because it captures their characters so well.

17 Likes

What’s the actual episode that scene is from? I feel like the real conversation was pretty similar to the one here (not about trans rights, but about rights and respect) but I can’t quite remember it. (And 100% agreement, the writing there is fantastic for the two characters)

8 Likes

I’m not sure, I’ll have to see if I can find out. (Bad Trekkie, no cookie for me. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

8 Likes

That’s okay, as it would only be a replicated cookie. Made of…you know.

10 Likes

Yep; I totally heard that in both their voices in my mind, as I read.

10 Likes