Today in transphobia (Part 1)

It’s worth noting that he and Colin Jost are two peas in a pod, not just on SNL.

And fuck Dave. It seems like the richer he gets, the more he forgets.

11 Likes

True.

11 Likes

Just like power, privilege corrupts.

And Dave Chappelle is officially no longer funny, he’s just a bigoted asshole.

13 Likes
12 Likes

More on this…

14 Likes

Was just coming to post this. I’m glad so many people are pushing back.

12 Likes

What he’s saying to the LGBTQ family is, ‘I see you. Do you see me? I’m mourning my friend in the best way I know how. Can you see me? Can you allow me that?’… This was a call to come together, that two oppressed factions of our nation put down their keyboards and make peace. How sad that this message was lost in translation.

Gee, could it possibly have anything to do with him proudly self-identifying as a TERF and saying

“I am not telling another joke about you,” he said, “until we are both sure that we are laughing together.”

“All I ask from your community, with all humility, will you please stop punching down on my community?”

where “punching down” is here translated from “complaining that I’m being transphobic”?

13 Likes
13 Likes

I watched his special.

He has a point, but one that only exists in stand-up comedy land. Where speech is sacrosanct and everyone is entitled to a platform, yet the slightest whisper of criticism shatters everything like candy glass. In reality, nobody is entitled to a platform, and criticism is as sacrosanct as speech is, maybe more. He made some good points, some cringeworthy bad ones, but all his points were clueless.

But I congratulate him on having had one trans friend :confused:

8 Likes

When I hear someone so fixated on knocking down trans women- I think he’s probably got a closet full of Frederick’s of Hollywood or his browser tabs look like Alice Jones.

Maybe both.

11 Likes

I knew him. He was one weird dude. If this were literally true, it wouldn’t surprise me in the least.

I see what you did there

8 Likes

This whole Twitter thread is a shitshow.

9 Likes

That’s certainly lacking in detail.

7 Likes

Holy shit, this is sad.

18 Likes

From one of Netflix’s co-CEOs:

It never feels good when people are hurting, especially our colleagues, so I wanted to give you some additional context. You should also be aware that some talent may join third parties in asking us to remove the show in the coming days, which we are not going to do.

[…]

Several of you have also asked where we draw the line on hate. We don’t allow titles on Netflix that are designed to incite hate or violence, and we don’t believe The Closer crosses that line. I recognize, however, that distinguishing between commentary and harm is hard, especially with stand-up comedy which exists to push boundaries. Some people find the art of stand-up to be mean-spirited but our members enjoy it, and it’s an important part of our content offering.

So, basically, “I guess it sucks yeah, but people will pay us money for bigotry, so who are we to do anything but provide it to them?”

Also Netflix is claiming that they suspended her and two others for “trying to attend a director-level meeting they weren’t invited to”, not for tweeting critically about their decision to air the special, which… sure, Jan.

15 Likes

See also Jen Richards this week being turned down for her pitch to Netflix for a warm, positive, family-centred school-age series about a trans kid because it didn’t have enough trauma.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

15 Likes

Can’t be having us seen as happy, valued, everyday people. With families, friends, ability and as making contributions to society.

And we have to die at the end. So - good on them for not whacking a child?

16 Likes

Ugh - I hope they get him out of office ASAP:

12 Likes

Isn’t’ that already the premise for Chad?

(I kid, I kid…I just can’t figure out Nasim Pedrad’s motivation for creating that show)

2 Likes

Netflix has a lot of good LGBTQ+ representation on it, but it means nothing if they can make a buck off slagging us off. Hell, they even have a very good documentary on how such negative media representation affects trans people (Disclosure). The fact that they are saying this outright bigotry is ok because ‘it’s pushing boundaries’? Fuck you Netflix. This is my response.

13 Likes