Today's mass shootings

Please tell me that somebody, ANYBODY replied with:

“So your ‘plan’ is to just do nothing as usual; gee, thanks.”

10 Likes

Oh my gee, no, did you not read it? He is going to pray for more guns! That should fix everything! :face_vomiting:

7 Likes

Behold, money and guns; Mammon and Moloch. The real gods of the religious right.

10 Likes

On the alters of whom they are willing and happy to sacrifice my children upon. Not theirs, of course, but ours, hell, pile them on!

12 Likes
12 Likes

How about bringing it home:
“We stand with those who have been hurt by these murders, due to the lack of action by Republicans.” Squarely drop it on their lap every time it happens. Not, “thoughts and prayers,” or “my thoughts are with you” or even “we stand with the victims.”. No. Stick it in their faces. And then rub their noses in it. (The R’s, not the victims and families).

At this point, actually about 15 or 20 years ago, it stopped being the fault of the crazed, angry, white supremacist gunmen and it is the fault of inaction by the people who could have put their minds to finding a solution. It’s gone on so long that it’s not a lone actor problem anymore.

6 Likes

And don’t forget, when you have a gun you’re immediately transformed into a Terminator.

7 Likes

Well, what a shock. 30ish white male. The cops decline to name him to deny him notoriety. That is some progress? These damn things are common enough even the cops and pols are developing some propriety in handling them.

14 Likes

Matt Schaefer is clearly expressing his belief that the law is pointless, powerless and ineffectual. So why the fuck are we paying him to do anything? He’s making it obvious he’s there for something other than lawmaking.

15 Likes

He says that gun rights are “God-given.” So I assume he worships Zardoz.

13 Likes

I think we are danger of neglecting the second half of Zardoz’s message.

3 Likes

Should she use her Rasputin-like hold on the press to make them cover her gun efforts 24/7? Her calls in early August for pressure on Trump and McConnell were widely covered but not front-page, as was her town hall on gun control just 4 days ago.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/Pelosi-Speier-talk-gun-control-at-a-San-14383457.php

Seriously, for the people who think she’s not doing enough, what more would you have her do? (Besides change her hashtags.)

Incidentally - fun fact - the original Brady Bill was written and introduced into Congress by a congressman named Chuck Schumer.

2 Likes

Your ellipsis (sans square brackets, which makes it seem like they’re mine rather than yours) deliberately distorts the point of that comment, which is that she didn’t take the opportunity of this tweet to do so and remind people of what I don’t deny are her accomplishments. Instead, that tweet reads like “thoughtsandprayers, someone please do something”, and comes off needlessly as empty and useless and weak in exactly the same way that a lot of statements from the Dem establishment come off.

Pelsoi doesn’t control the press, but she (or whichever incompetent aide wrote this) controls her Twitter account. I’m not making excuses for incompetence, no matter how long she’s been around or how much of an establishment figure she is in the party.

I provided an alternate message (and @Wally improved on it even more). But hey, if you think yet more “thoughts and prayers” is what’s still called for from Dems leaders after yet another mass shooting, I don’t know what to tell you.

8 Likes

No, I think pushing for legislation is what is called for, and what these Dem leaders have been trying very hard to do for years. Criticizing them for not having done so because they are also tweeting sympathetically is bizarre.

FWIW, her very next tweet after the one being quoted does in fact call the GOP obstructionist on this issue:

3 Likes

Is Pelosi the enemy? I was never a huge fan. Neither am I one of those D hating moderates who just dog people with criticism forever. I’m not a “moderate.” What does that even mean? Moderates, moderates in sheep clothing, Libertarians and R’s can go suck eggs. Pelosi is not the best, but not the worst either. I don’t think she’s very effective at policy. She’s effective at pissing off the opposition, which to me is excellent. But I sure would like a more effective legislator. That’s the damn job, innit?

As for all these tweets. Is it really necessary? We govern by Twitter now??? WTF. Better not to say anything at all. To hell with Twitter. Don’t write sympathy tweets. Don’t write policy tweets. SHOW empathy by 1. Doing one’s job and 2. Call people and better yet, visit with them. And don’t turn it into a photo op. Stay focused. Do the good work. That’s what I’d rather see than all this useless, time wasting Twitter chitchat.

3 Likes

Please! They prefer to be called “Magsturbators”

4 Likes
12 Likes

Beto O’Rourke at least says “This is fucked up” in front of the TV cameras

11 Likes

Hey now - let’s not sully masturbation with a jingoist portmanteau. We have so few nice things as it is.

7 Likes

Cue the pearl clutchers who lambaste O’Rourke for using such offensive language to describe mass shootings, even though Trump used the same term to describe his haters on Twitter.

15 Likes