Today's mass shootings

I mean I think his point isn’t “this is someone who went to the school to hunt school children.”

Either way, it’s shocking no matter the cause and his whole “bright side” of it is creepy.

4 Likes

Somehow, knowing that kids in Texas go to school regularly with concealed weapons so that when a fight breaks out it can quickly turn into a gun battle is not as reassuring as he thinks.

16 Likes

I get what he’s saying. In their schools, shooters don’t even need to plan ahead. Really democratizing the gun death there, Barney.

14 Likes

Ah it wasn’t random though! See? You only get killed if some one with a gun gets angry at you, see right? All good here!

12 Likes

On the news last night, the reporter said something incredibly stupid “questions remain about how the student obtained the gun”. No there aren’t. The shooter is 18 and lives in Texas. He easily bought the gun legally and Texas has done away with the burden of conceal carry permits.

Texas, you have done this to yourself, and it will happen again and again and again.

14 Likes

An 18 year old can’t conceal carry.

So they’ll charge him after the crime. :woman_shrugging:

11 Likes

Holy hell, they actually did put an age restriction in that asinine law. :flushed:

He’s going to be charged with lots of crimes anyway. Being Texas, it won’t even be concealing the gun that will land him on death row.

10 Likes

One would think that a personal responsibility state would require gun owners to have liability insurance.

14 Likes

That’s a bridge too far! Something, something, 2nd Amendment.

9 Likes

Cue the crocodile tears from white gun fondlers about how that would be so very unfair to poor PoC who want to defend their homes.

10 Likes

But….aren’t those homes also insured?

8 Likes

While ignoring or advocating against actual social measures that would reduce people’s need/motivation to commit crimes against other POC just to stay alive in the first place.

6 Likes

since there’s nothing in law that would put the company on the hook for the payments there’s no incentive for them to charge. and people would probably just not report anyway.

you’d need licensing at gun ranges, gun shows, to purchase ammo, etc. then you’d need laws to mandate the insurance i think

it’d help maybe if people would acknowledge that stranger danger is not the main problem ( eta: but of course, random mass shootings and murder by police are also big problems of their own ) most shootings happen at home, by a loved one. and overall people are generally shot by someone they know

The majority of mass killings happen in private, at a home, involving family members. Since 2006, 319 out of 460 mass killings (69%) have taken place in a residence or other shelter…

“Most victims know the person who ends up killing them, and the most common type of location where these happen is actually private homes and residences”

14 Likes

This is why when I ran the math and numbers last time, I came to the conclusion that if I wanted to protect my home and family, it was safer for me to NOT have a gun in the house than it was for me to have a gun in the house.

7 Likes

yeah. people will sometimes trot out anecdotes where a gun seemingly saved the day, but by the numbers: a gun at home invites danger

plus having a gun for “protection” means you’re preparing to kill someone. personally, i don’t want to live in that world

10 Likes
9 Likes

“ “We have some information about the five people who died. There are four women and a man, no one has been formally identified yet. It will take some time. They are all aged 50 to 70 years,” Sæverud told a news conference.”

Another conservative terrorist then?

13 Likes

I bet we can also fill in the incel square on the terrorist bingo card. 4 out 5 victims are women.

11 Likes

You know… once you said it, it makes sense, but we generally differentiate between radical Islamists and white supremcaists, but at the end of the day, they come from the same reactionary background? So… yeah. Conservative terrorists it is for the whole lot of them.

16 Likes

I like to use the term ‘Fundamentalist’ instead of ‘Conservative’:

• it’s already a well-defined religious term;
  • (real) Conservatives can move forward, just more slowly than Progressives, whereas Fundamentalists always want to go back to some mythical better time and culture.
16 Likes