Today's mass shootings

image https://media.tenor.com/images/91d1c8ef2c2f0c64fd506b005c48210f/tenor.gif

5 Likes

This does the exact opposite of whatever “holding back” would be in this scenario. Holy shit.

6 Likes

I posted that over in odd stuff, as I was not sure where to put it… I had forgotten about this thread… Here it is:

5 Likes

Small blessings, eh?

Also good grief, fashion houses have their heads just incredibly far up their own asses, don’t they? Ugh. :face_vomiting:

5 Likes

They absolutely usually do. I wonder if fashion houses run by women or people of color or working class people or queer people do better on that count?

4 Likes

2 Likes

United Colors of Benetton has used shocking imagery on billboards for decades (i.e. photos of family members comforting an emaciated family member dying of AIDS, various victims of violence, interracial/same sex intimacy in times and places where those things made people uncomfortable) but the campaigns always had the flavor of “creating awareness for taboo issues” rather than “blatant commercialization of tragedies.” You can’t buy a blood-soaked shirt from Benetton, for example.

4 Likes

IMO, that flavor of “creating awareness for taboo issues” was always just a rather flimsy excuse to hide behind, while generating free publicity out of the good old wheeze of provocation/shock. This one even works on two levels, enabling Benetton’s target demographic to “rebel” against their parents while wearing nice clothes for a change.

I still think the context is pretty different.

For example, the billboard depicting AIDS activist David Kirby on his death bed was used with the explicit blessing of the Kirby family. I can guarantee you that no Sandy Hook parent gave their blessing to sell clothing commemorating their child’s death with a hoodie riddled with fake bullet holes.

5 Likes

The context is selling clothes.

I don’t think David Kirby’s family saw it that way.

1 Like

Probably. Doesn’t change the setting, though - ad for a clothing company.
There are other ways of raising awareness of problems that badly need fixing.

8 Likes

What we really need is a “:face_vomiting:” option for stories like this. Or maybe “:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:” option. That would work too.

8 Likes
8 Likes
8 Likes
7 Likes
7 Likes
10 Likes

2 Dead After Gunman Opens Fire Near German Synagogue In Anti-Semitic Attack

A shooter tried to storm a packed synagogue during Yom Kippur worship services, officials said.

14 Likes