Today's mass shootings

So — a useless bill, not that I expected anything else.

13 Likes

Well, if there are actual improvements in coverage and availability for mental health, I wouldn’t call it useless. We need a word for “fails utterly to address the topic intended, but may do some good anyways.” I feel for Sen. Murphy, I suspect he would truly like to address the actual cause of these repeated tragedies, but is trying to get something through that the fascists won’t automatically shut down. Which means “we cannot even mention their preciouses, no no we cannot mention the preciousssss.”

16 Likes
9 Likes

Details of exactly what went wrong are still hazy as the investigation is ongoing.

Ron Burgundy Anchorman GIF

11 Likes
12 Likes

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/06/school-taser-drone-programme-paused-after-ethics-board-exodus

10 Likes

Like stealing sugar water from hummingbirds, it still will not move the needle,

Conservatives are liberal commies in some places.

13 Likes
11 Likes

And that’s the thing, even in states that pass red flag laws, in far too many of them the laws say “adjudicated mentally” or “convicted of and threatening to do harm” , but that requires a judge to have rule that… so it never enters into red flag territory.

Where I grew up in North Arkansas the sitting judges in my area famously said after the Jonesboro high school shooting that they would never issue a ruling of mental incompetency or danger to others in a TRO because it could be used to restrict gun ownership if red flag laws ever ended up getting passed. And then, they argued, because they wouldn’t restrict legal gun ownership that red flag laws are fundamentally pointless.

3 Likes

They open every session of Congress with prayer- every day.

Yet we still have Ted Cruz, Steve Scalese was shot, there was a mass shooting in Congress and more than a few pedos serve.

Checkmate, Louie.

11 Likes

Also I googled it, Louie, and school shootings in the US date back to 1764. That’s 198 years before JFK “banned prayer” in schools, Louie.

10 Likes
9 Likes

May 2022:

and

2020, I think:

2017:

:point_down:t5:

11 Likes

TW: I blurred the link to the original image. Caption reads: “South Vietnamese forces follow terrified children, including 9-year-old Kim Phuc, centre, as they run down Route 1 near Trang Bang after an aerial napalm attack on suspected Viet Cong hiding places on June 8, 1972. A South Vietnamese plane accidentally dropped its flaming napalm on South Vietnamese troops and civilians, and the terrified girl had ripped off her burning clothes while fleeing. (Nick Ut/The Associated Press)”

That 9 year old girl is now 59 and here’s what she said in an interview on the 50th anniversary of that photo:

So, it’s OK to show graphic war photos?

I believe that we need it. Sometimes, it is not pretty, but we need to show that. That kind of education, that kind of reminder is needed to let people know that we need to stop it.

14 Likes

Episode 191: Mass Shooters & the Chans

A cycle of violence fed by decades of online culture. But what connects the mass shooters who posted manifestos on 4chan and 8chan? How does a massacre become a meme, begetting more tragedy? Dale Beran guest writes.

4 Likes

Looks like congress is reaching an arguably better-than-nothing deal but to no one’s surprise it seems to focus on putting even more cops in schools over any kind of serious restrictions on gun ownership.

Yay.

14 Likes

The “Red Flag” addition came from Fla of all places:

This is Florida’s “red flag” law in action. Passed in the wake of the horrific 2018 mass shooting at a Parkland high school, the state law provides police a path to ask a judge to temporarily bar dangerous individuals from possessing or purchasing a firearm. Since its creation, Florida judges have acted more than 8,000 times to keep guns out of the hands of people authorities deemed a risk to themselves or others, according to data maintained by the Office of the State Courts Administrator.

IDK maybe belonging to a white supremacist militia should be added to that so-called “red flag” law.

16 Likes

In this thread Murphy explains what the deal includes:

Meanwhile the majority of the country knows what’s really needed is a ban on assault weapons.

15 Likes

yeah. to me this “deal” seems like a gift to conservatives and handwaving for everyone else

Other provisions could funnel billions of new federal dollars into mental health care and school security programs, funding new campus infrastructure and armed officers. Several senators last week said they expected one cornerstone of the deal would be legislation to establish a nationwide network of “community behavioral health clinics

the states that arguably need it most won’t opt in to the clinics, just like medicaid expansion. but they will further criminalize being a child, and most of that weight will be on black and brown communities

meanwhile:

a federal grant program would encourage states to implement “red flag” laws… while federal criminal background checks for gun buyers under 21 would include a mandatory search of juvenile justice records for the first time.

so still no required red flag laws while essentially expanding the influence of school police decisions

no assault weapons bans, no registration, no mandated red flag or domestic violence restrictions

it’s not clear we’d be getting anything solid except more policing. the opposite of one of the key social justice issues that needs to be fixed

13 Likes

Not enough at all.

10 Likes