Today's mass shootings

May have been a mass shooting in British Columbia this morning. Details still coming out.

10 Likes

“She said the victims were homeless and that police believe the attack was targeted.”

:frowning:

12 Likes

Also one at Whistler yesterday. Two dead. Police say gang-related.

10 Likes
17 Likes

What the heck? Were these rival mountain biker gangs?

11 Likes

Sadly the targeted gang shootings are a becoming a regular occurrence in BC.

There have been some questions about why we got an alert for the Langley shooting but not the Whistler one. The pattern in the gang shooting tends to be shoot and escape. There are preliminary reports of a burnt out car and subsequent second car that the Whistler suspects were arrested in. The risk to the public is usually at the primary scene.

The Langley one was unusual for here and motivations are still unclear. The shooter was killed by police in the morning and two of his victims died a third lived. We got the first alert around 6:30 and a second that the police had dealt with the shooter an hour or so later (not their word but it was something ambiguous about exactly how the interaction had ended). There was a final alert at 3pm saying that things were clear.

Not really directed @DukeTrout more my ramble as I sit down and read through some of the reporting a few days later.

8 Likes

I apologize for making light of it. It’s sad that a place that’s known for outdoor recreation is experiencing that kind of violence. It’s sad everywhere; it just seems so wrong.

8 Likes

Humour is good. It does help us deal with things and keep us going rather than getting overwhelmed that some of theses things are becoming regular.

7 Likes

Now heading to Cancun Cruz’s office…

10 Likes

i often wonder how much “gang” is simply cop speak for young men of color.

is it as formal as a fraternity or the 3%ers? or is it a group of loosely affiliated people who are getting pulled in to shooting at the guy who his friends think killed their friend?

every person on their list looks to be a mid twenties male poc. and, it seems literally impossible to me that if drugs and guns are involved there isn’t a single white supremacist motorcycle club in sight

7 Likes

That’s easy: 100% of the time. It’s not even a dogwhistle at this point, that’s just their word for “any young men of colour who gather in groups of one or more”.

8 Likes

that’s… kind of what i was thinking. which makes all of these “gang task forces” the absolutely most depressing concept ever

( honestly, at this point id be happier to hear gangs are a real thing that need special agencies. it’s something that media doesn’t even seem to give a second thought to when reporting on this stuff )

7 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, there are also criminal conspiracies and what the rest of us would characterise as “gangs”. Many motorcycle gangs on the Hells Angels model, for example, or any number of criminal street gangs.

The trouble is that when cops say it, they mean any young man of colour who knows any other young man of colour.

8 Likes

Here we are.
Here.
In the U.S.
Now.

16 Likes

open carry over open windows. america’s definitely got it’s priorities straight

( and yeah, i know illinois only allows concealed carry. don’t worry, i’m sure this supreme court will get there eventually )

speaking of:

15 Likes
13 Likes
12 Likes

078-sagan-destroyed-truth

10 Likes

Except he never said that.

It’s not the kind of thing he’d really say. Even in Demon Haunted World, where he was aggressively pointed, he didn’t get that harsh.

2 Likes
9 Likes