I Ordered a Hot Dog from Burger King and

Honestly? As someone who grew up on game meat, I’d say horse would be the better option. Especially considering the karmic implications. Who eats the gods?

8 Likes

Best damn dogs in America, Flo’s…

7 Likes

I’ve been meaning to stop there for years. It’s an old Worcester diner as well, IIRC.

4 Likes

So that’s one Flo who won’t tell you to kiss her grits.

Seriously, though, I can see two things in that picture I’ve never had but would love to try. Kinda tough to find Moxie where I live.

4 Likes

Horse actually tastes pretty good; British people ate it thinking it was beef, and they didn’t seem to mind until they knew what it was. Last year they found a slaughterhouse in China that was selling cat meat as rabbit. I don’t know how true this is, but supposedly butcher’s shops used to keep the fur on rabbit feet to show that it wasn’t cat.

6 Likes

My mother has several stories of WWII rationing, one of which is occasionally getting cheated by the butcher with ground horse instead of ground beef; they knew by the stench the minute it hit the pan.

9 Likes

I guess if you’re going to cheat someone with the wrong meat, you’re probably not going to have the highest standards otherwise. I used to have horsemeat burgers fairly regularly though (we were supplied from the Netherlands), and they didn’t taste bad at all.

6 Likes

I don’t know. A Worcester car could be the bones of the place (given the rounded part of the roof) but you’d never know it from what you can see. The public part is only the end where the door is with maybe five stools and standing room, pretty small. If you’re tall you need to crouch a little to stand inside. I first was taken there sometime in the 60s, and aside from fresh paint now and then, it hasn’t really changed much.

edit - @SpunkyTWS. Flo probably wouldn’t have said that, (it’s not Mel’s, after all) but I do remember her telling my mother’s first husband to eff off when he ordered five dogs and that he was already fat enough. :laughing:

I’m going to be in Maine on Tuesday, if I get across the border by 3:15 I’ll drive straight there.

7 Likes

yapp.

me and my sister, aged 8 and 6 or so, Bremer Freimarkt. I thought our misreading of Rossbratwurst* as Rostbratwurst** was incredibly hilarious, she puked all over the place

* Ross - horse
** Rost as in grate, together a common name for grilled sausages

7 Likes

The headline is quite accurate: he really loved his pets. He loved them grilled, fried, barbecued…

I’ll show myself out.

10 Likes

I’m thinking of some other diner. Enjoy your dogs! Maybe I’ll finally stop in this summer.

Question : what do you think of the Jamaican place? It’s a big joke to my wife, but I’ve wanted to stop there, as well.

3 Likes

It’s like the tale of the roadside merchant who was asked to explain how he could sell rabbit sandwiches so cheap. “Well,” he explained, “I have to put some horse-meat in too. But I mix them 50:50. One horse, one rabbit.”

12 Likes

Thanks! You won’t regret going. :slight_smile:

Yeah, that’s only open in the summer I think. Haven’t been there, but the clerk at the Bedrock Lobster Pound told me it’s good. MMM, jerk chicken!
Edit - you might be thinking of the Agawam Diner in Rowley, MA, that’s on rt. 1, too, about 40 miles or so south of Flo’s. Don’t know if it’s a Worcester, though.

3 Likes

Recently I made sloppy joes and the tomato paste reminded me I should make my own ketchup. I gather once upon a time ketchup was something a chef whipped up themself. I imagine it would be great with no added sugar, and maybe the occasional garam masala or fiery hot sauce added.

Too many things are tasty.

9 Likes

The thing about ketchup is that it is supposed to have a lot of “Umami” taste to it. One of my recent culinary school classes touched on this specifically. One of the reasons Heinz has managed to sell ketchup for so long is that the umami (savory) taste is difficult to replicate specifically, leading “other” ketchups to instead taste varying levels of too sweet, too tomato-y, or too tart.

10 Likes

You know, I had no idea until I read through this thread that Ketchup on hotdogs is verboten in the US. In Canada (well, at least in the GTA Ketchup is pretty universal as a condiment, along with mustard, relish, onions and often bacon bits. There’s a pretty strong pickle movement here, too, as hot dog/sausage carts pretty ubiquitous here.

Now, ketchup is reserved only for hot dogs. Sausages are wholly exempt from such.

11 Likes

Some of the earlier recipes for ketchup I’ve seen are actually mushroom based- which seems inline with the heavy umami content. Tomatoes have lots of naturally occurring MSG, so there’s that too.

8 Likes

Apparently not only is ketchup on hot-dogs verboten, so is mustard on a hamburger.

10 Likes

AKA The time Hannity unwittingly revealed he’s never eaten at McDonald’s.

WHO’S THE ELITIST NOW?

12 Likes

It’s not. Don’t be fooled by this vocal minority of condiment “elitists.”

9 Likes